ADATA SE730 External Rugged SSD Review

Steve

Staff member

"An external SSD that can beat Samsung T3," read the title of an email that I recently received. Curious, of course, I investigated further to find that ADATA was behind the bold claim. Its purported 'T3 destroyer' was also the smallest external SSD you can buy with an IP68 rated shockproof, waterproof and dustproof enclosure.

I couldn't pass on taking a look at this tiny yet apparently mighty portable SSD. Dubbed the SE730, it weighs a mere 33g (1.1oz) and measures 72.7mm long, 44mm wide and 12.2mm thick (2.8" x 1.7" x 0.4"). Like Samsung's T3, ADATA's SE730 features a Type-C (USB 3.1 Gen2) connector but comes with a Type-C to Type-A USB cable for broader compatibility. The drive only requires 4.5 watts to operate so it can be powered from the USB interface.

ADATA claims that the SE730 is good for a throughput up to 550MB/s when reading and up to 450MB/s when writing data, based on sequential read/write numbers from ATTO Disk Benchmark.

Read the complete review

Ok, I don't get it...this is a SOLID STATE HDD. In other words...NO MOVING PARTS.
I can understand a mechanical hard drive needing to be in a hardened case, but,
an SSD?

Ok, I don't get it...this is a SOLID STATE HDD. In other words...NO MOVING PARTS.
I can understand a mechanical hard drive needing to be in a hardened case, but,
an SSD?

SSD still has circuit boards and wiring that you want protected from the elements, dust and other variables.

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with an external SSD. I bought a Crucial MX300 270GB for $70 and a Samsung 4TB for $1500. The last thing I'd want is to have one of these things unsecured outside my tower. Might as well just use a regular 2TB HDD. It would be cheaper.

Back