Adblockers myth or fact?

learninmypc

Almost since I've been online with my own pc (WinMe) I've used an adblocker of some sort , usually Adblock or Adblock plus because I was lead to believe my pc had to work harder to load up all the extra crap from the ads.
At times lately I've occasionally disabled it for whatever reasons & was shocked to see the wall to wall (border to border) ads on some websites.
In a thread in here several days ago I saw a staff member give a thumbs down to adblockers.
So to get right to my point, does it take more for my pc to load up the ads or not? 8gb's RAM & I have FIOS as an ISP.

Interesting thought! I remember reading a topic about this a few weeks ago, but didn't know whether I should believe it or not. The article I was reading suggested using adblocker increased CPU workload. Some of the comments speculated about the website promoting the non-use of adblocker because the ads were a source of revenue.

Interesting thought! I remember reading a topic about this a few weeks ago, but didn't know whether I should believe it or not. The article I was reading suggested using adblocker increased CPU workload. Some of the comments speculated about the website promoting the non-use of adblocker because the ads were a source of revenue.
Yes, that was mentioned in the thread I was talking about & although I didn't mention it in my first post, I think it was julio that gave the thumbs down which I can understand why. It was originally Kim Komando that I learned it from.
@Cobalt006 , I'm checking out your link.

I'm using Adblock Plus.

Even if my system does work harder (though I doubt), I'm happier without all the trash ads. A little bit of processing power is a sacrifice I'm willing to make, for cleaner browsing. I hate the fact that we have to go through so much effort in maintaining an enjoyable browsing experience. I regret being a prick to sites that rely on ads to stay afloat, but that is what happens when sites can't/don't control the ads that are being displayed.

I've complained several times here at TS about annoying ads. Once I started using Adblock Plus, the annoyance went away. Which leads to less complaining in the Site Feedback sub-forum. So in my opinion it is a win/win scenario for both admin and myself, for my continued use of Adblock Plus. I never generated any ad clicks for those ads anyway.

I'm using Adblock Plus.

Even if my system does work harder (though I doubt), I'm happier without all the trash ads. A little bit of processing power is a sacrifice I'm willing to make, for cleaner browsing. I hate the fact that we have to go through so much effort in maintaining an enjoyable browsing experience. I regret being a prick to sites that rely on ads to stay afloat, but that is what happens when sites can't/don't control the ads that are being displayed.

I've complained several times here at TS about annoying ads. Once I started using Adblock Plus, the annoyance went away. Which leads to less complaining in the Site Feedback sub-forum. So in my opinion it is a win/win scenario for both admin and myself, for my continued use of Adblock Plus. I never generated any ad clicks for those ads anyway.
Thank you kindly, much appreciated. :)

I've always been partial to blocking using entries in the etc\hosts file.
This is the approach used by MVPS and it has zero overhead by blocking the domains which run these ad servers. If the url can be resolved into an ip address, then the ads can't be displayed.

I'm assuming you all have an exception for TS right? (Clifford doesn't, I know) ;)
I install it & subscribe to the ones I know & leave it. I've heard of what you're talking about,but to my knowledge, NO, I don't have an exception for TS.
If by being ad supported that means you click the ad & purchase something from it, NO, I don't nor have I ever done such & don't intend to start on ANY website.

He is talking about clicking Adblock Plus while visiting a site and turning the block off for that specific site. It adds the site to an exception list for future visits.

He is talking about clicking Adblock Plus while visiting a site and turning the block off for that specific site. It adds the site to an exception list for future visits.
Ok, but I've done that on www.cbs.com so I can watch the program without ads but it hasn't saved it for the next time. Exactly what I do is start shows like this
then I click on ABP & left click disable on cbs.com & then refresh it. Once the ad starts,I click on ABP again & UN check it so NO ads (commercials) play. Turns a 60 minute program into 48 + or - minutes.

I just installed adblock plus after a long spell without any adblockers at all. Like, years man. Its a breath of fresh air. I was getting fed up doing google searches for stuff then going to other pages and seeing multiple ads about stuff related to my google searches, even down to adverts for the place I had bought a birthday present for my fiancé which wasn't great when she was looking over my shoulder while I surfed. Rubbish. my question to site admins is this - if I never ever (and I never ever ever click ads) ever click ads, do you generate any revenue from me loading up the page with ads, or is it clicks only? I have an exception for tech spot at the moment but there is a google banner at the top of the screen above the main block of links and the site looks so much better without it.

Back