Add DVI out to Laptop via PCMCIA?

By joshuaslater
Nov 9, 2006
  1. Ive got a Gateway MX6447 notebook with Radeon Xpress 1150 chipset. The chipset has support for DVI, but there is no mobo DVI interface. Anyone seen a DVI interface like the one here for PCMCIA instead of PCIe? Not looking for video card, just interface adapter. If there is a PC card out there do you think it will be able to utilize the onboard DVI support?
  2. joshuaslater

joshuaslater TS Rookie Topic Starter

Oh yeah, and is it worth all this hassle to connect my notebook to a 37 in lcd tv as the primary monitor(not yet purchased) just to have a digital connection? Or should i just stick with the VGA to VGA connection that is available?
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Hum.. There used to be such things back in the day, but a quick search now brought up only one product for Apple machines and this:

You can also get a box that connects to PCMCIA and gives you standard PCI slots. Magma makes these.
  4. joshuaslater

joshuaslater TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah i have done a lot of searching myself and seen the boxes for pci slots and so forth. They are pretty expensive. I dont think the increase in video performance that i will get from DVI-D is worth the cost of those. I will stick with VGA for a few months and see if something comes out. Since DVI is still relatively new to notebooks, it may take a while for a simple PCMCIA - DVI adapter to hit the market.
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Hum.. If there are no PCMCIA video cards with VGA output, then I doubt there will be many PCMCIA-DVI cards..

The PCI-E thing you linked before is not possible for PCMCIA or anything else. It is a gadget that works only with some Intel chipsets and only over PCI Express using something called SDVO.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.