Add/Remove programs problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all:
I use window vista and after unistalling a program using the program's uninstaller I am having problems using the Add/Remove from the Control Panel.

I get the populate list with programs, but when I want to uninstall one when I click on 'uninstall/modify' I get the following Run DLL error window:C:\PROGRA~1\COMMOM~1\INSTAL~1\RunTime\0701\Intel32\Ctor.dll, saying that the specified module can't be found.

How do I get it working again?
Any help to solve this issue will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Dr

well it may be specific files needed to uninstall the program or the program is already uninstalled. you may have to manually delete all the files. Does it do that with all of the files you try to delete?

Hello Thaunknwn:
I can't uninstall any program, that window will appear every time, regardless of the chosen program that I'd want to uninstall, which means that I can't use the add/remove or uninstall at all.

Dr

ok well try going to Start > Programs > and looking for the program there, or look up the folder and find the uninstall.exe file

I looked at your .jpg. And even with my very rusty French recognized "file not found" message :D

i did a quick look and find the file ctor.dll commonly used in the Uninstall operation. For some reason it seems to be missing (or corrupt) on your computer
1) Any idea how this might have happened? (might find the root cause)
2) To try and fix you need open an elevated command prompt window in Vista, then run System File Checker which checks/replaces critical System Files (and hopefully fixes this for you) enter: sfc /scannow

hi LookinAround:
yes I can tell you how that file got erased, or so it seems:
I had two programs that I wanted to uninstall.
For the first one, I chose the programs uninstaller and it did uninstall it, however, I still had (not any more) the program listed in the 'Start-All programs' (but the program itself was gone).
Then I tried to uninstall the second program, and for this I had to go to Control Panel and Add/Remove, but here is where I keep on getting that message of file not found, thus can't unistall it.

I think that the program's uninstaller deleted that file, cause I used the Add/Remove the previous day and it worked normally.

What do I do to restore the file and get the Add/remove working again?

Thank you,

Dr

System File Checker (SFC) is a windows utility that checks for missing/corrupted system files. Try running that as it might replace the missing file for you. Notes:
=> You MUST run it with admin privileges (since you want it able to replace files)
=> It MIGHT ask you for your installation CD/DVD to replace a file
=> Be patient. It might take awhile to complete

See here for how to open elevated command prompt in Vista
At the prompt, enter: sfc /scannow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back