TechSpot

Add/Remove Programs won't work after XP SP 1

By DemiUrge
Sep 24, 2002
  1. Hi,

I did a fresh install of Windows XP before installing the new service pack, and everything went smoothly until i ran the new shortcut that lets you edit whether you want to use IE or not, etc. (Sorry for the vagueness, I can't completely remember what it was called.)

The shortcut didn't work, saying something about a parser error message. Now when I try to open Add/Remove Programs, I get this:

I'm not dying to reinstall XP again (i JUST got everything back to normal =), so I was wondering if anyone could give any advice.

Thanks in advance.

(Edited for spelling)

2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Hey! Its your lucky day! (Or at least I hope it is, anyway....)

source: http://www.neowin.net/bboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44357

Please post back and tell us how it went! Good luck!

3. DemiUrge

DemiUrge TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yep, that did it. I guess I should have searched the boards more carefully. =)

Thanks!

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

5. wiresnagger

wiresnagger TS Rookie

I am currently using "Modified theme" I basicly have a picture for my desktop background. I went to where you said and I found the following.
    Resources/Themes/luna/shell/ then 3 folder inside of "Shell" Folder that are Homestead/Metallic/NormalColor

Thoughts?

Homestead/Metallic/and NormalColor all have a dll file shellstyle in them

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.