Added 2nd HD for virtual mem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My company periodically gives away their old computers and I ended up with several deskpro 2000s. I put all the ram i could fit into one and now there is a whopping 64k in but is still really slow. i tried to speed things up by adding a 2nd HD and formatting and using it for the virtual memory. i set it in device settings and the comp does seem a little faster but is there any way of knowing if it is being used? When i go back to where i set the VM settings, the checkmark is still at "let windows manage" i have reset it to point to the new drive, restarted, and the same thing happened

hatchmar said:
and the comp does seem a little faster but is there

First off i hope you dont have 64k of RAM :haha:

Secondly virtual memory is very slow, i mean freaking slow. You will not see any notticable gains by devoting a secon HD to VM

oh, ok. I read somewhere that it is slow but if you used a 2nd HD, it would improve performance.
and yes.... 64k rofl, it is funny, but i didnt pay anything for 4 desktops, 2 mamoth workstations and a laptop. Im just playing around with them to see what i can learn. im soon giong ti build a "real" system and am practcing. hey- is there any other things i could do to improve speed a littlte(for free of course)

if the computers are old and have been used a few times, de-fregging might be a good option, it probly wont make much of a noticable change but hey, at least your drive will be defragged properly ;)

I tip my hat at you for using the reasources that are aviable to you, and practicing before the real thing. Other then the ussual cleanup utilties i.e.disk defrag, reg cleaner (which have never been proven to actually help that much) i would say as far as free....there isnt much more you can do.

Sean

Ah ha!, Somehow, I missed one of the RAM slots. he he he now I have a whole 94k of ram. whoopideedoo! the motherboard has a pentium in it, (socket 7?) and I found another Mobo that has a socket that says "socket7" on it. I noticed that instead of a heatsink, It has a fan on it.. i popped the CPU out but there is no labeling on it so im not sure what it is but do you think I am correct in assuming that scince it has a fan instead of a heatsink, that It could be a "better" cpu? since i have nothing to lose, i did put it in but i guess there is something that I need to do to the bios to tell it that there is a new sheriff in town? when i powered up, I got the old "non system disk or disk error" I did put the old one back in and its working fine again.
Thank you for your replies!

hatchmar said:
I have a whole 94k of ram.

Umm your thinking 94MB unless your pc is alot older then im thinking...lol Altough your thinking is a bit unscietific lol....the CPU with a fan should be a higher clockspeed. Honestly...i think it is time for a new PC

Oh yes, It is time for one and I am starting on one, I only can buy one component per paycheck untill I get through the expensive parts. I ordered the mobo last friday. this is just practice and getting myself in the habit of having a static band on, making sure I have the correct and enough tools etc... for example, I realized that one of the screwdrivers I was using was magnitized. I dont think I would want to use that around the brand new system?

hatchmar said:
I realized that one of the screwdrivers I was using was magnitized. I dont think I would want to use that around the brand new system?

Well we have had alot of discussion on this forum about that topic https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic25241.html

and have come to the conclusion that no damage can be done whatsoever. I have since used a magnet many times with no problems. Good luck with the build, i too live from paycheck to paycheck so i feel your pain.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back