Adding 2gb DDR to a Dell Dimension 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah i know. Dell Dimension 3000...old as a dinosaur, But its all i got for now.
My question is...Will I need a new PSU when adding the new RAM? In the future im also going to be adding a new CPU.

EDIT:
Is it possible to add a Intel Core 2 Duo CPU?

Adding memory should not necessitate a PSU upgrade unless you're really currently borderline. Changing the CPU not be a problem unless there's a very big difference between you have now & the one you intend to put.

I doubt you'll be able to run a Core 2 Duo on that machine though but I'm not sure as I can't seem to find any info on such a possibility.

Didou said:
Adding memory should not necessitate a PSU upgrade unless you're really currently borderline. Changing the CPU not be a problem unless there's a very big difference between you have now & the one you intend to put.

I doubt you'll be able to run a Core 2 Duo on that machine though but I'm not sure as I can't seem to find any info on such a possibility.

Thanks for the info! I currently have a Intel Celeron D.

technicalfury42 said:
First of all, your PSU will be fine.

Secondly, that is the 865GV chipset, if I'm not mistaken, which is socket 478, so no, you can't put a duo in there.

I'm not 100% guaranteeing it will work, since I haven't got the time, but this is the best you can do:

My system has the 865GV Chipset. Also, i thought the Duo also came in a 775 socket?

Well, if the DUo just wont work, what about the Pentium 4 Extreme Hyper Threading?

The extreme version might work(it isn't officially listed). Regardless you can only look at socket 478 cpus(and don't confuse the mobile socket 478 "socket m" core duos, they won't work) The best dell lists is a 3.2ghz p4 with hyperthreading. Regardless, I think it's pointless to put down a buch of cash on such an outdated processor.

It might be worthwhile if you got a cpu in the 2.8-3.0 ghz range that wasn't too expensive such as the one technicalfury42 pointed out.

ive got the prescott p4 3.0 E in my system, if its an upgrade you want, than its the one id get over what you currently have and they are cheap enough now. It can easily overclock to 3.2 ghz and beyond. Prescotts however are bad on the heat-producing side, so adequate cooling is necessary. Ive had mine to 3.4 ghz and it flirts with the 65-70 C range and beyond.

Ok...thanks for all the tech help guys! So, now that I know that I can only run a P4, what about PSU? I read that P4 require a 300W PSU. Also, will my motherboard be fine? Are there any power issues?

im gonna go on a limb and say they put a 250, 280 or 300 watt psu in that. nothing fancy, just enough to do the basics. remember, dell, at least the non XPS systems, are all about functionality and stability over power/performance. so dont be surprised if its on the low side. you can check your psu's wattage on the housing, usually on a sticker. i think you will be fine if you step up to the 2.8 or 3 ghz processor with your current psu.

Surkitz said:
im gonna go on a limb and say they put a 250, 280 or 300 watt psu in that. nothing fancy, just enough to do the basics. remember, dell, at least the non XPS systems, are all about functionality and stability over power/performance. so dont be surprised if its on the low side. you can check your psu's wattage on the housing, usually on a sticker. i think you will be fine if you step up to the 2.8 or 3 ghz processor with your current psu.

I currently have a 250W PSU. Will I be fine after I upgrade to Pentium 4 Extreme HT?

EDIT:
I also read that i may need to pick up a ATX12V connector for more power to the system once I upgrade to the P4 Extreme HT. Is this correct? I heard some people actually forgot to plug theirs in not even knowing they had one...and everything was ok. But, I really dont want to take any chances.

Can you read off the side of the PSU what the 12v rail is and what other components are in the system?

To be honest, spending a ton of money on a processor and possibly a psu for this upgrade is driving down the wrong path.

You would be much better off to save up and try to build a budget box of your own, and take parts from the Dell (cd rom, floppy, keyboard, hard drive, mouse, monitor, any PCI cards, etc.)

For example, if you jump up to, say, a super-cheap AMD X2 socket AM2 system, you will get a considerable improvement in almost every area.

Here's a barebones system:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167010

$79.99

You get case, motherboard, power, audio, video, LAN. You have a hard drive and a cd-rom, presumably.

Then you need CPU, RAM.

CPU $35 AMD 3400+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819104005
RAM $35 2GB Crucial DDR2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146571
AFter MIR

So for $150 you could jump to an AMD 3400+, on the AM2 platform, get 2GB of ram, improve your PSU, and get a new case. For an extra $30 you can get an AMD X2 4000+ instead.

If you're a gamer, your only other expense will be a PCI-E video card.

Newegg has many barebones systems. Here's a nice one for about twice as much as the MSI:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856110061

You are awsome!!! Thanks for helping me save time and money! Only one problem though...newegg wont ship those kind of items to Hawaii and I live in Hawaii.

*edit: please use the quote function with more parsimony*

Yeah, im a gamer...or im currently trying to be. My dimension 3000 is running warcraft3 perfectly right now. But, id like to play other games too. I know my dell cant handle any other game besides warcraft:-{

I bought this barbones kit:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3401765&Sku=F452-2326 A

Tell me what you think about it! Thanks again for all your help Tech!!!

EDIT:
Could you help me find some good 120mm fans(2) from tiger direct? I also need a cpu cooling fan that will fit easily in the case I bought. Heres the case info:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2337812&sku=ULT33179
Also, will I be able to use my dimension3000 hard drive?
Thanks!!!

"Also, will I be able to use my dimension3000 hard drive?"

yes that should not be a problem if u reformat the drive and install a new copy of Windows XP sp2.

I dont think I have the XP disc. Is there a way around it? Also, with a good video card do you think that system will handle todays games?

Valdin, for the last time stop doing a full quote for the post right before your own. Only use the quote if there's a specific part you want to reply to. You have been warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back