Adding a 2nd Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to replace my current HD with a bigger and faster one but keep existing data.I have installed the new HD formatted and done a disk to disk copy using Ghost 2002,changed the jumpers to make the new HD primary.
When I boot up everything seems to be OK except that Disk management states that New HD (D) Healthy and old HD (C) Healthy(page file).But when I disconnect Old HD ,system only boots up to the welcome screen(display windows xp) and hangs.
Help please

You should not do a disk-to-disk copy (C to D), but take an image of your old disk(C), then load that image onto the new HD, which will then also become C.
Your manual should tell you exactly how.
Then swap HDs, i.e. make the new large HD the Master, and make the old one the Slave, by setting the jumpers accordingly. Also change the HD-positions on the IDE-cable.
Once everything works, format the old HD and use it as storage or whatever.

Really in it now

Thanks for the advice Blackstuff,but trying to reduce the size of my C: drive so that I can create a mirror on minimal cd's I must have deleted something important.On shutting down I got blue screens,fdisk,registary recovery you name it.Now I can't boot up,not even in safe mode.However remembering I had done a disk to disk copy to my D drive I changed the jumpers and leads to make D master and C slave (won't boot up in D on its own) I have managed to get up and running.
The question is what do I do now.Should I reload XP on D(which is really where I want my OS )and somehow copy all my files and settings from C. I do have a windows back up file 2gb+ should I use this(three weeks old) and go down the Ghost image route.
One other thing when I eventually get sorted will my new HD 7200 rpm on work at the 5400rpm of the old one as master and slave.?
Thanks

If you want your OS to be on the D-drive, you should install it there from scratch.
First though, do a repair-job and do a FIXMBR. See one of the Read post at the top of the Windows forum. (how to... if cannot boot etc.)
When everything is done, and you have copied over your important files from the C-drive, you can delete the contents of all the directories and the directories themselves.
Do NOT format that C-drive, you will loose your boot-info!
Having a 7200 and a 5400rpm disk on the same cable, will drag the 7200 down to the speed of the 5400. Not really a good idea.

It doesn't appear I can do a repair to my c drive their isn't an option.So I have decided to go back to square one.Reload XP on C: and if you can tell how to transfer all the data programmes etc from C then I will reattempt to ghost image to D.So that it can become my C drive and I will dump my old drive.
Sorry for being a pain.

You CAN NOT do what you plan.
Put the old HD back as master. Put the new one in as Slave.
Now GHOST the old C-drive to the new D-drive, i.e. make an exact copy, OR use the transfer-software that probably came with your new HD.
Swap the drives again, so that the new HD becomes MASTER and C.
The old HD should become SLAVE and D, but still with all the old windows on it.
You should be able to boot without any problems from the new HD.
All your programs should also work.
When all is done, you can format the old HD for storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back