TechSpot

Adding a cdrw to HDD cable ?

By Mowerman
Aug 24, 2002
  1. Hi, is it ok to put a new cdrw on the same cable as the HDD ?, all the parts are new, motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8IHXP, the cdrw is an Asus 4816A 48X Write/ 16X Rewrite/ 48X Read , the HDD is a WD120gig.
    some one said that putting it on the same cable as the HDD will slow it down,
    and another said thats bullcrap, and that it wont effect it at all because that only happened with old gear.
    does anyone here know for sure what the go is ?

I have been serching around the net, but unsure where to look for definitive answers on this.

Regards Kevin.
    Ps, i cannot use the second ide controller(just incase you suggest that)

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

It's ok but it does slow it down a bit, because slave devices use master device's IDE controller.

3. Mowerman

Mowerman TS Rookie Topic Starter

Would that only be when the cdrw is in use or all the time(the slow down) ?

4. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

So you're planning on having 3 CD/DVD drives in one system? Oi.

I would say that it would be fine. Since IDE channels are supposed to and expected to have 2 devices on them I don't believe one will slow down the other...I don't think...:confused:

5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

6. Mowerman

Mowerman TS Rookie Topic Starter

Cheers people, i assembled it today, and it seems to work fine, though it does hang a bit sometimes when i click my-computor.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.