Adding a operating system to second hard disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

learner1

How is everybody,

I have windows xp installed on my hard disc.
i have a second hard disc as slave.

I wander is it possible to load the same copy of xp onto the second hard disc.
giving you a choice by resetting the boot sector.

i want to do this as the master drive has crashed twice on me . i think it is on the way out.

any advise please.

thanks in advance.

learner1

It can be done under dual boot technology, as long as it is a separate product ID, because Windows considers it a separate (duplicate) install that still must be verified.
What you describe is unusual. I would find out the reason for the crashes. How do you know it is the hard drive crashing, and not the system crashing because of a fault elsewhere?
It is less costly to just replace the hard drive. The prices have fallen so that a 40 GB is $38, 60 Gb is $63, and 500 GB Seagate was $99 at Tiger Direct yesterday.

thanks to Raybay

Thks to Raybay for your quick reply

i was considering replacing the hard disc. but it only crashed once.
total crash . black screen.
when on the restart it advised " ntldr IS MISSING". went into the cmoss and found it did not recognise the master hard disc.

shut it down and restarted it later.
bingo everything fine.
i was thinking of loading the OP onto the second hard drive and in the event of a crash on the master disc i could change the boot sequence and use the slave hard disc.
but when i laod up the OP disc it tells me that the version i have is newer then the one on the disc and will not let me get past this without upstting the original install. what do you think?

thanks again

learner1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back