TechSpot

Adding a printer to the Network

By tom_oftheplains
Mar 29, 2007
  1. Okay, we've got five printers in the office here, and they're all networked and every time I add a computer to the network because of a new hire, I just manually add all of the printers for them.

We just got a new printer and added it to the network.

Question: Is there a way to add this new printer to every computer in the network at once, or do I need to manually go to each computer and add that printer? Your help is greatly appreciated, as always.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 8,946   +586

sorry, to my understanding, the client must add the network printer him/herself.

3. tom_oftheplains

tom_oftheplains TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

Great. Well, thanks for letting me know. It just means that I'm going to have to go computer-to-computer; these people are as handy with technology as a blind parapalegic monkey trying to do surgery with a bonesaw.

4. jobeard

may I suggest that you go to ONE client,
    perform the Add Printer and step-by-step, take screen shots,
    saving them with sequence-numbered names, step-1-ap.jpg
    attach them in the correct order and EMAIL the clients.

This has worked well for large installations :)

5. tom_oftheplains

tom_oftheplains TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

That would work if I was working with, say, average "human types". Sadly, not the case. This one's all on me.

6. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

7. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Small script could connect the printers for you. When I use to do I did it manually but if you have the same setup like:

Example:

Active Domain
    PRT Printer Group
    PRT100 - HP Laser Jet 4000
    PRT200 - HP Laser Jet 4600C
    PRT200 - HP Laser Jet 5Si/8000
    etc..

Non Network Printers that don't have HP Jet Direct 10/100 Card

If you know the printer server name and the printer locations then a small script could run and install the printers all in one shot. At home/Office network it done automatic if you're running a Printer Server.

8. jobeard

yes you can get the link setup, but the driver for that specific printer still needs to be install.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.