Adding a printer to the Network

By tom_oftheplains
Mar 29, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, we've got five printers in the office here, and they're all networked and every time I add a computer to the network because of a new hire, I just manually add all of the printers for them.

We just got a new printer and added it to the network.

Question: Is there a way to add this new printer to every computer in the network at once, or do I need to manually go to each computer and add that printer? Your help is greatly appreciated, as always.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,030   +222

sorry, to my understanding, the client must add the network printer him/herself.
  3. tom_oftheplains

tom_oftheplains Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 24

Great. Well, thanks for letting me know. It just means that I'm going to have to go computer-to-computer; these people are as handy with technology as a blind parapalegic monkey trying to do surgery with a bonesaw.
  4. jobeard

may I suggest that you go to ONE client,
    perform the Add Printer and step-by-step, take screen shots,
    saving them with sequence-numbered names, step-1-ap.jpg
    attach them in the correct order and EMAIL the clients.

This has worked well for large installations :)
  5. tom_oftheplains

tom_oftheplains Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 24

That would work if I was working with, say, average "human types". Sadly, not the case. This one's all on me.
  6. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

7. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,490   +73

Small script could connect the printers for you. When I use to do I did it manually but if you have the same setup like:

Example:

Active Domain
    PRT Printer Group
    PRT100 - HP Laser Jet 4000
    PRT200 - HP Laser Jet 4600C
    PRT200 - HP Laser Jet 5Si/8000
    etc..

Non Network Printers that don't have HP Jet Direct 10/100 Card

If you know the printer server name and the printer locations then a small script could run and install the printers all in one shot. At home/Office network it done automatic if you're running a Printer Server.
  8. jobeard

yes you can get the link setup, but the driver for that specific printer still needs to be install.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.