Adding a second fan

By i_need_answers
Dec 26, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have 1 cpu fan in currently and want to add another. I have it plugged into a power supply and have tested the fan on the cpu fan power supply port and it works but it won't work when i plug it into a differn't port is there any special thing i have to do??
    Thanks
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

If that fan does not need to be monitored by a temperature program, keep it hooked up to the PSU.
  3. By reading threads around techspot it appears if you run your CPU fan off the plug on the motherboard you may have compatibility issues eg: certain mobos will only run certain fans and the PSU not as fussy. Sound like a Marketing Strategy. So best to do as our Irish friend says and run it off the PSU :giddy:
  4. Ea$Y

Ea$Y Newcomer, in training Posts: 73

Your board may have a safety feature on it that will prevent the board from posting until the jumper for the fan is plugged in- to prevent the chip from roasting during a post. Experienced system builders will shudder at the thought of that *ahem lol* You can get a power splitter that includes mobo jumpers and 4 pin molex pwr connectors.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.