TechSpot

Adding extra wifi (modem/router) to my already extended network

By Tommygunn
Jun 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I have an internet connection that I have extended to my Brother in law's house, next door. At the moment, I basically have two LAN cables coming out of my modem/router, one going to my computer and another, extended cable, going to his computer.
    However, he wants to use his spare modem/router, which has wifi capability, to allow his son to use his own computer downstair with only wifi.
    Therefore, will there be any conflicts if I simply splice in a Lan cable or add a lan socket for the second modem/router (wifi location.) at the appropriate point along Lan cable 2? See diagram below.
    If there is a possibility of conflict what would be an alternate wiring method?

Thanks,
    Tom.

[​IMG]

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

Good drawing and this will work just fine. In fact, that's what I use to get access at the far end of the house. Here's the trick;

router#1(lan slot) ---- (lan slot) router#2 with wifi​

Notice that #2 WAN slot is left empty! This places all systems on the same subnet of the router#1 {what you are doing is making router#2 act like a switch which has wifi support (y) }
    • * Give router# a unique LAN address (If #1 is 192.168.1.1, then make #2 192.168.1.1) This will allow each to be manage via a browser connection
    • * in router#2 disable DHCP. This forces #1 to be the manager of the entire network and it will handout all IP addresses
    Personally, I use the MAC addresses of my devices to enable router#1 to use Address Reservation of IP address for all devices attached to #1 (ie I map the devices to the range 1.2-> 1.10)

Then set the DHCP range in #1 to 1.100-1.50
    These will be used for all devices attached (wired or wifi) to #2

Optional:
    All systems can then use the firewall to allow or deny access for one or both halves of the network. EG: I permit access for 1-10 and 255 while denying 100-254​
    ALL system must allow the top-end address 255 as that is the broadcast address that is used to hand out the DHCP data.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.