Adding memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Forum,
I am new to this forum and I have a question hoping someone would be able to help me out with.

I just built a desktop with AMD64 CPU4200 an ABIT KN9 SLI motherboard and 2 gigs of memory memory is OC PC2 6400 Dual H.
My problem is that when I put both memory modules my computer will not boot and it will just beep continuosly if I take one memory module out no problem I have tested both modules in each memory DIMM ( I have four memory dimms or memory banks) and each memory module and they work but not when I put both of them. I have purchased a 2x512 memory of the same brand and configuration and I had the same problem I took one memory module out and it worked so I thought I had a bad memory so I bought more.

Anyway same issue does anybody knows if there is a switch or jumper or something I need to changed in order to make the motherboard see my 2gb of memory?

Please help.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Mario

Are you sure that the memory you have chosen is the right type and speed for your motherboard. Are the bios memory timings set for default values?

i checked out that motherboard, and that IS the right type of memory. 240 pin, pc2 6400, ddr 800 mhz...so it technically should work.

i'm honestly not sure, but i'm fairly sure there should be a way to reset the bios. there has to be a jumper on it somewhere. perhaps unplugging all the power, and taking out the mobo battery, and placing a piece of metal on the terminals to reset it? i don't know if that will work.

but if that's not the case, i might go so far as to suggest it's a defective motherboard, or defective memory modules.

from what I can read in the specs this should work fine. the only thing would be a cross check. try the memory module pairs with another board/computer. if this works you seem to have a broken board.

Thank you very much for your responses, this is what I have done to verify some of the possible problems.
I tested each memory module in each memory bank and it works, so that tells me that the Motherboard is okay is not broken I hope my assumptions are correct, as far as memory being the same it is i bought everything from Fry's and is what I was told it would work with the motherboard.

I have download the newest flash and I am going to try to see if this fix the issue otherwise do you have any other idea if I need to tweak BIOS.

Thank you very much.
Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back