Adding RAM to a Dell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wibtr

I think Im going to buy a Dell Inspiron 531, with 1gb memory. I was thinking of adding another gb myself, because it would be cheaper than buying the upgrade from Dell. I have recently heard that Dell systems are picky with what memory can be added. Will I be able to throw in some memory from new egg? Suggestions on a brand or type?

Crucial. As long as you use their memory scanner it's garanteed to work. I got some for my E521 from them.

Tedster said:
yes, start by reading the upgrading ram guide in the guides forum.
Thanks. So the best thing to do is find out what motherboard I have? Should I just wait until I buy the computer, and read the manual?

it is always best to RTFM. buying ram without a motherboard is like going fishing without a pole.

ok, this is the motherboard it comes with.
13-153-073-04.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153073

Looks kind of cheap.

a picture alone won't tell you what you need. Go to the manufactuer website and ask for the spec book or download it, or just wait until you buy the board and you can RTFM. Quit being in such a hurry. That is a recipe for disaster.

Well, I'm assuming that this is at least a decent motherboard, if Dell uses it. Im gonna buy the PC soon.

That crucial site says I have to install matching pairs. So I cant just add 1gb of crucial to the 1gb my dell already has? I cant mix and match?

1.That is not the mobo
2.You have 4 slots. 2 are probably in use. What ever you decide you should get a kit (2x512 for 1GB). As long as the new ram is the same mhz it will all run at the same speed and in dual-channel mode.

wibtr said:
That crucial site says I have to install matching pairs. So I cant just add 1gb of crucial to the 1gb my dell already has? I cant mix and match?
did you read the guide?

Tedster said:
did you read the guide?

Yes, I have read the manual and crucial guide. What threw me off is crucial saying I have to install memory in matching pairs. Which I assume means that I shouldnt mix 2 different brands in one slot. There are 4 memory slots total. Each slot has a 1gb max. So I can have the original Dell 1gb in one slot, and add a crucial 1gb in another?

Please follow me (or open your case and LOOK at it)
4GB maximum
4 total slots
1GB maximum per slot
memory sticks sizes from 64mb to 2GB
DUAL-CHANNEL memory requires 2 matched sticks (size,speed,make and model)
If you have 1GB now it's probably 2x512mb sticks using 2 slots, leaving 2 open
You can:
buy 2 more 512mb = 4 slots used, 2GB total
buy 2 1GB sticks = 4 slots used, 3GB total
remove the 2x512mb sicks you have and replace with:
2 1GB sticks = 2 slots used, 2 free = 2GB total
4 1GB sticks = 4 slots used, 4GB total

Time for a beer

I am just about to buy an Inspiron 531, with AMD 64x2 5600, 1gb ram, 320gb hard drive. And I want to add another 1gb of ram myself. Also looking for a video card. Dell offers the 8600gt for $150.

And I know google is my friend. I have done a lot of research on my own. But my knowledge of the subject is still very limited. I find it easier to ask the specific questions I would like answered, from people who know what they are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back