Adding Third Hard Drive Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I need some technical advice please if possible as I have installed a third hard drive sacrificing a cd drive I have my main hard drive Capacity 80GB jumper setting master showing 78GB, second drive capacity 200GB no Jumper present so acting as slave 189GB showing the third drive is installed capacity 200GB but only 31GB showing I have the jumper set on the third pin from the left I think it is cable select all my drives are Maxtor’s I have downloaded and run various programs from the Maxtor website but I still have a 200GB drive with only 31GB of room showing can anyone suggest where I am going wrong and or how I can get the max capacity showing from my drives any info would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Are all HD's the same brand?

Showing as in BIOS? If in Windows, reformat the drive.

If the mobo is old, update the BIOS.

It's better to use either master or slave. Cable select can screw things up.

Modern mobos have SATA so they support up to 6-8 devices w/o add-on's. You can get an ATA/RAID/SATA PCI card and add more drives.

Are all HD's the same brand? they are all maxtor drives

Showing as in BIOS? If in Windows, reformat the drive.

If the mobo is old, update the BIOS. the bios is up to date

It's better to use either master or slave. Cable select can screw things up. do you know how to set the jumpers on the third drive c: has master f: is slave no jumper present

There may be a 32GB jumper on that HD. Take it off.
If your CD is master on the second IDE channel, then you must set the HD-jumper to slave or vice versa. Do not use Cabel Select (CS).
Check in BIOS that the HD is recognized automatically.
Harddisks today have a little sticker on them somewhere, how to set the jumpers, MS/SL/CS = Master/Slace/Cable select

Thanks for all your help the problem is now solved after messing around with the jumpers i decided to make the third hard drive master and the dvd writer slave theis seems to be working fine now i have maximun capicity showing on my drive

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back