Adding Third Hard Drive - Windows Not Recognizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

512dude

I have added a third 80GB hard drive on to my second IDE channel but it does not show up in my Windows Explorer list and I cannot access it. I have seen it show up in my BIOS and if I access the Device Manager I can see that the system recognizes it there. The second channel shares a DVD drive but I'm not sure that makes any difference.

How can I get it to show up in the Windows Explorer so I can start writing/reading files to it and format it?

Here are some screen shots from the Device Manager with the first a summary of what is recognized and the other four the details of each item in the summary. I have noticed that the UDMA Supported entries and the Device Current Used entries are similar for the Primary and Secondary Drives on Channel 1 but that the 3rd hard drive supports UDMA 5 but uses UDMA mode 2. Could that be a problem? I'm not aware of what that means.

Untitled18.png

FIG 1: SYSTEM SUMMARY

Untitled20.png

FIG 2: CHANNEL 1 IDE DEVICE #1 (Primary hard drive)

Untitled21.png

FIG 3: CHANNEL 1 IDE DEVICE #2 9Secondary hard drive)

Untitled22.png

FIG 4: CHANNEL 2 IDE DEVICE #1 (DVD Drive)

Untitled19.png

FIG 5: CHANNEL 2 IDE DEVICE #2 (This is the hard drive that was just added)

THX

Simply go into the disk management console & partition/format your new hard drive.

ps. having your DVD drive & the hard drive on the same bus means that both devices will work at the speed of the slowest one, in this case the DVD drive which is most likely ATA-66.

Didoun,

>>Simply go into the disk management console & partition/format your new hard drive.

Which is accessed from where?

Thx

Right click on my computer & click on manage. Once in there, you can find disk management in the bottom left area.

Just in case

Here's a picture to show you where to find the disk management console.

ps. you're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back