Adding Wireless to my HUB/Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys..

Got a small question about adding wireless to my Exsisting Setup.

Currently I have 1 computer used to connect to the internet with ADSL, it's shared to 3 other computers using a local switching hub.
My home hub is connected to my work's hub about 70M away from my Home.
with another 3 Computers at Work...

So all computer in my network are working great! Sharing files/Internet

I got a new Wireless Laptop with 11g 54Mbits.
Can I add an Access Point to my Home Hub and another Access Point to my hub at work, so that my Lappy can be used wirelessly both home & work???

Or must I rethink my entire network with the use of a new ADSL Modem with router..
I'd perfer to stay with my current setup.

Yes, this is exactly what you can and should do instead of going and buying a new wireless router like most people.. *mutter*

I would do this....(because its cheap).

Buy a couple of DLINK DL-524, or something like it (because they are cheap, FutureShop in Canada has them for $29.99 after rebates).

And then hook up your network like in the drawing below.

(this is assuming you hook to your ADSL modem with a network cable and not USB).

The DL-524 is nice because the ports are auto-detect so you don't need to worry about cross-over cables.

What you do is log into one of the routers with your laptop before hooking it to the network.(the one designated with the s) and change its IP address to 192.168.0.2. Then log into it again and turn off the DCHP option. Now set up the network as shown. Make sure all the computers have it set to automatically assign IP adresses.

The router can be set up to do all your ADSL sign on crap (if you ISP uses that) so you don't have to start that program up on your computer anymore.

This also gets rid of the Windows Internet Connection Sharing which can be bothersome.

I would also change the SSIDs on the routers to xxxxW and xxxxH. Set up WPA-PSK using the same passphrase on both routers. I would also change the channels on the routers to at least 2 apart from each other.

This should give you a fairly robust and secure network. Make sure though on the s router that nothing is hooked to the WAN port, everything should be connected to the LAN ports.

Attachments

• networksetup.JPG
    networksetup.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 11
So adding a Wireless access point to my hub will allow laptop to join my current LAN and it's shared Internet.

I Dont want to buy a new Modem with router etc..

Current is a USB crappy Modem but it works.. and My ADSL is dodgy.. I'm doubtfull i'll work with a different brand Modem.

Ah, didn't notice.. Windows ICS is indeed bad and you should get rid of that thing.

Since you are investing in your network already the few extra bucks won't matter. Buy one wireless broadband router for your DSL and one access point for the office.

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

Having done just about the same thing here today and yesterday.....AAaarrrggg!
It can be very stressful if you take un-needed shortcuts..
I attemped the AP to existing router...could not get it(them) to run, even with tech support:: belkin 802.11g/b, netgear & dlink...bought one at a time &
returned one at a time.......
What did work out for me was to get a
Linksys broad band router Wrt54g $59.95usd, compatible with 802.11b,
using 2 pci wireless g nic's.
My main machine is hard wired to the router and the other three are using
wireless nic's..
Locking down the wireless network, security is the most important part!

1.name the ssid with a unique name.

2.use wpa tpik encryption, not wep. do not broad cast.

3.Mac address filtering (adding mac addresses for only the machines
you want having access to network)

4.block imcp

5.Be careful with file and print sharing.

I learned just how much trouble Ms's firewall in XP sp2 can be..
I turned it off..
Configuring the router properly should offer good security..
Now that I got it working, it's Great!
G'Luck!

okay so i'f I go and buy what the guy at my local shop said to buy..

A ADSL/Router/54g wireless in one unit..

this WILL work, yeh?

also I want to know, so the wireless would be working for my home! using that item.

So what if I want to have the wireless working at my work
remember I have 2 hubs 1 at home and another at work they are both connected together!

P.S. I don't understand the main purpose of the Access Points.

do they act as a wireless switch/hub or something else..

If it is acting as a hub.. wouldn't plugging the bugger into the local hub cause the wireless access point to allow wireless devices accing my Network computers and file shares, and lastly allow use of Internet from ICS?

this subject is F'ed! wired networks are so much less hassle!

I hate the idea of going out and spending $200+ for a router/modem/wireless in 1, and I'm not even shore it will work with my crappy old TT&T ADSL here in THAILAND!!!

Yes, an AP is basically the wireless equivalent of a hub/switch.

You don't have to get the wireless router. As I said, two APs will do just fine but Windows ICS is not a very good solution for permanent internet sharing - a router would give you more security, robustness and flexibility.

thanks for your replys,
Will this work?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Internet <-> ADSL/Router/Wireless <-> LAPTOP with wireless
...........................|
..................Ethernet hub <-> 3x Computers at Home
..HOME ............... |
-------------------|----------------------------------------
..WORK ............... |
...................Ethernet Hub <-> 3x Computers at Work
............Wireless Access Point <-> Laptop with Wireless

(The two ethernet hubs are connected with uplink.) It is the same network!
Will the layout change! hope not.. DOH! (ignore all the dots!)
will this work?

Toxsickcity said:
-----------------------------------------------------------

Internet <-> ADSL/Router/Wireless Access point <-> LAPTOP with wireless <--this is an example of "access point"
..................Ethernet hub <-> 3x Computers at Home
..HOME NETWORK.. |
-------------------|----------------------------------------
..WORK NETWORK.. |
...................Wireless Access Point>Ethernet Hub <-> 3x Computers at Work
............ <-> Laptop with Wireless
You may need to use software routing to make this work at work.

At home the wireless access point becomes part of the network
giving other systems wireless access to Inet.
I wouldn't recomend an all in one "adsl/router/wireless"
one or two access points should do the trick for your.
You may need a non-wireless router at work, (this would make it easier)
If I'm reading your diagram right...
Hope this helps!!!
G'Luck

If the internet is at home connected to a router wouldnt the router work for at work as well.. coz once you plug a hub into a router the router now makes the ports of the hub act like a router as well? doesn't it?

OK...

to make it even simpler, pretend I had DIALUP! :D

My Wireless AP is plugged into a HUB/Switch
1 Computers has Dialup with Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)XP-Pro, This computer is connected to the HUB

Without a Router... blah blah blah...

*** Will My Notebook with Centrino see the Network Shares / Internet?

Yes / No!!!

please explain why, if NO!

An AP acts like a switch/hub. If you link your laptop with the AP it will behave exactly the same as if it was plugged directly into whatever the AP is plugged into.

great... so it will work... but as you said before with low level of security

If I wanted security what do I do...

By security I mean

I don't want street bastards using my internet / accessing my network shares!

Is there a hardware level of security or is it based of password for windows's share! etc

The wireless security is not what I meant. You just set up encryption and MAC address wilters to your access points and you are done.

Your biggest security concern is the Windows machine that is sharing the internet connection. I'm assuming it is Windows, since you did not object the asuumption made by tdeg.

Putting a Windows computer online and connecting your office network to it is sheer madness. You need a router box or a Linux/BSD computer to do the internet connection sharing.

Nodsu said:
The wireless security is not what I meant. You just set up encryption and MAC address wilters to your access points and you are done.

Your biggest security concern is the Windows machine that is sharing the internet connection . I'm assuming it is Windows, since you did not object the asuumption made by tdeg.

Putting a Windows computer online and connecting your office network to it is sheer madness. You need a router box or a Linux/BSD computer to do the internet connection sharing.
Nodsu
Ultimately that is what I had to do today.
Toxsickcity, I think you'll need a firewall (on the routers) at both locations...though I'm not sure in Toxsickcity's
case if he needs a wireless (wireless gateway) at both locations..
I hope I'm not confusing things further, nor do I want to hijack a thread.
Toxsickcity's case is so much like mine - the dsl, I have cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back