Admin issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinDos

My parents recently removed my profiles administrator privileges, making it rather hard to do anything (especially gaming).

I've already decided to remove the CMOS battery to fix the BIOS password they've imposed (they're techno savy, aren't I lucky ?), but I'm not sure how to regain admin privileges or remove their admin account. Any ideas ?

Also, if I get a windows xp disk and decide to re-install the OS, will I need the BIOS password for when it restarts, or will re-installing windows solve both my problems ?

Your first post and you ask this????

I'm a parent, and am fully aware of what you kids get up to on a pc when your accounts aint locked down.

So for that, I won't be helping you out, and i hope other parents remain responsible and reply with similar, sorry!

Welcome to the boards! :)

I'm not gonna do bad things, it's just that 1 game in particular spawns a whole slew of problems if I don't have admin privileges. Wouldn't it be better to advise me properly what to do instead of leaving me to re-install the OS & taking out the CMOS battery, possibly corrupting the computer and costing thousands of dollars ?

More than that, my mom is all for it but my step-father won't relent, I don't think he has the right to do so.

Oh, and I used search to find related stuff, but my problem is a bit too complex. So yeah.....my first post is like this. :D

Which game?
Is it an online flash type game that requires plugins etc?

Either your stepfather is from hell, or he knows what you'll really do with the power of admin......MUWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA !!!

I'm a bit too old to play it, but the game is maplestory. I can play any of my other games (both off of CD's and download ones like maplestory), but maplestory uses "gamegaurd", a hacking detection program, while most of the others rely on GM's instead.

I don't really need to do anything "evil" with admin privileges, per se, I just want to play my game. T.T

I would've asked about help with that, but it just closes down the moment it starts up and the errors are all blank windows with an "OK" button, so I wasn't really sure what anyone online could do.

At the login screen I can't access the account with admin privileges and my own account no long has them.

taking out the cmos battery wouldn't help bring back your administrator privileges

what exactly do you mean by "At the login screen I can't access the account with admin privileges" is it not in the user list or does it have a password?

Taking out the CMOS battery was meant to reset the BIOS password my parents imposed as well.

At the log in screen, the only account with administrative privileges has a password which I don't know. It's renamed to something else though (parents name).

then I think the parents have shut u down as they intended to do. u can take the battery out and the password will still be there.

I'm pretty sure taking out the CMOS battery would reset all of BIOS, including his password. As for the administrator account password, I'm sure there must be some way or program that could crack it.

WinDos, your parents are clearly competent enough to know what they are doing and the levels at which you have been blocked are not accidental. In my book, you should not ask this forum for help in getting your restrictions and/or punishment mitigated.

It would and there are!
BUT....if your stepfather won't 'relent' as you say. Chances are he'll ring your neck if you do manage to hack it and regain admin privileges!
If my step-son did that, he'd be hopping around all day with foot wedged up his a*se!

It's my computer that I bought with my money from my summer job, why should it matter what he wants ? My mom pays for the internet , electricity, and mortgage, so he has no right to make any kind of claims (not to mention that she agress with me).

Also, he can't do **** to me - any kind of violence would land him in jail (and I can fight better than he can) and trying to undo changes means he'd have to take off the lock to my room (something that wasn't there the first time he ****ed around with my computer).

Now, if you're not going to help me with my technical problem, please stop offering me advice - I know my parents and life better than you and I have bothered to analyze that angle. They're not competent, he tried fixing my problem himself without giving me admin privileges and all he came up with was re-installing the game, he just knows how to put passwords on.

if you can figure out the bios password then you can take it off BUT you only get 3 tries (if memory serves) so be careful :eek:

as for getting yourself back to admin - you'd have to get on to the other admin account and that password is probably the same as the bios password

that's all i'll say about that ;)

If its your pc then it is unfair that your step-father should take power over it. Your mum should step in too. IF indeed that IS the case.
But seeing as you are acting like an insolent puppy and after only 9 posts are dictating to people how to post, especially since your motives are morally questionable.
Good luck with your quest, but i doubt you'll find your answers on here.

I'm not dictating, I just don't need to answer all these questions when they've got nothing to do with the topic. It's not insolence, it's justifiable annoyance.

WinDos said:
My parents recently removed my profiles administrator privileges

I do sympathise with your predicament. However, it`s your parents you should be speaking to not us.

I don`t see how we can morally help you with this.

This is a matter between yourself and your parents.

Threads Closed.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back