Admin Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNS1310

Just did a re-install of XP Pro on a friends computer. Had some trouble finding a product key, but finally found one and got it to start up, now it's asking me for the Administrator password, which i don't have. I hit enter thinking I can leave it blank, which sometimes works, and it take me to a black screen with a Logon Message: "The system cannot log you on due to the following error: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. please try again or consult your system administrator."
I don't need the computer to start up with logon screens, I wont needs different users to login. How can I get past this?

Are we allowed to answer these types of questions?

Just unsure, as different forums have different rules about bypassing/removing passwords

Tried running in safe mode to change the admins password but it went right back to the blue logon screen

Yeah safe mode did nada. Found out to kinda backdoor my way into changing the admins password.
Did a repair of the windows install, it restart, started installing devices...
I hit Shift + F10 typed in NUSRMGR.CPL at the prompt, changed the admins password and finished installation.
I start the computer, it gets to the password screen, i type it in and get the same result:
"The system cannot log you on due to the following error: The specified domain does not exsist or could not be contacted. Please try again or consult your system administrator"
Well Effin-A. Now what?

There are three jumpers next to the battery on the main board, pull up the jumper and plug to other two, about 10 seconds, the system will restore to factory BIOS settings.
If you could not find it, the battery should be easy to find?
Remove the battery power and connected with a metal to the battery position, 10 seconds can also restore the factory settings.

When in doubt...start over!
There were 3 partitions for some reason, deleted them all and created a new one. Ran the re-install of XP, got thru everything fine and it's up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back