Administrative Password | XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcinfoman

I am working on a Windows XP Home OS and the person who originally set this up is no longer available. I need to get the "administrator" password or reset it. I cannot seem to find the answers on the Microsoft faq site.

Can somebody tell me how to reset this password please?

Unless one of the other accounts has administrator privilidges, you're out of luck! If another one does then go into that account, go to User Accounts and wipe out the password for it. If not, then you have no choice but to perform an "in-place" re-installation. That's the only way.

Download a version of Hirens Boot CD, and use any of the 3 (I think) password resetting tools available. There are also Linux boot CD's available for free download that can perform the same task.

try jumper removal

Did you try removing and reinstalling jumpers on your motherboard? There may a jumper you can take off and then put back on to clear all passwords.It seperate from the CMOS jumper. Check it out.

Again, as far as Windows PX goes, if you forget that administrator password and do not have another administrator account, you're HOSED!! :eek: Sorry, but there's no way around it.

I know this because I had this problem with a customer. I went to do a repair installation on his PC and used an XP Home CD. I got confused when the option for repair wasn't offered. Turns out he had XP Pro and it messed up his passwords. We couldn't get in again. Had to re-install Windows XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back