Administrator Privilage problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resonantg

I don't know where else to turn. Currently, I've misplaced my recovery disk and have been discovering all new software I've installed cannot be started. I get the message:

Access Denied: Please Login with administrator privilages and try again.

What makes this frustrating is that I am using the administrator account, and the other admin account doesn't work either.

I suspect this has something to do with eliminating AOL and it's bundled McAffee virus scan, but don't know what to do about it since it's all been removed. I also installed Windows XP (Home Ed) SP1, and don't know if this has a problem either.

The 3 programs I've tried to use since this issue started have been games:

Freedom Force
Hegemonia
Hardwar

I can't install the appropriate patches because of this admin problem either.

Anyone have an idea of how to help?

Thank you for any assistance I can get.

What make and model of PC as you may need manufacturer software updates from the PC vendor also why only SP1 you should really be SP2 and beyond also AOL is rubbish and being removed from add/remove in control panel shouldnt affect things nor should getting shot of McCrappy.

Either that or get a PS2 :)

if you have a limited account for daily use and an admin account for install and
maintenance, you will find that programs installed in the Program Files area
will have problems like yours. Quicken is a major offender here.
\Program Files will be protected from r/w access for limited accounts.

good installers offer to install for All Users or Just the Current User?

The trick that's used under the covers is the install directory becomes
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

To Dazzer:

The computer is a 5 year old Compaq Presario, beyond that I don't know anything about it (I'm a hard core end user with no mind for the crunchy power functions.) So other than that, I can't answer build questions.

I'm running SP1 because SP2 causes more problems, often causing programs to fail to run or crash on start up, so I deleted it and re-installed SP1 (mostly I got it only because it was a requirement for the Xbox 360 controller otherwise I'd still be running straight XP.)

I've had these programs installed before and they worked, but after SP1 was added they stopped. Both programs state they have patches for this, but the patches won't even recognize the software exists so they can fix the problem, because of the Admin privilages SNAFU. I re-installed both of them in fresh folders and everything because I thought that would help, but to no avail.

As for the PS2; yeah, that's on my list... or at least an Xbox360 once they get to be reasonably priced and un-tweaked. ;)

To jobeard:

The computer only has 2 accounts, both admin privilages. Both cannot access the programs for the same admin privilage reasons. This is what seriously confused me. Typically, one should work I would think.

Both games are installed under c:\Games\*program name*, and I've never had problem with this before.

I don't quite understand your "under the cover" solution though, could you elaborate as to what you mean? :confused:

Thanks to all in helping me with this problem. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back