Adobe and Dropbox team up to make working with PDFs in the cloud a lot simpler

midian182

Staff member

Adobe and Dropbox have teamed up in order to make PDFs a lot easier to view, share and edit while on the go. The companies said the partnership is just the first phase of “even deeper mobile integrations” that are expected to be rolled out over the coming months.

The collaboration means that users will be able to add their Dropbox account to Adobe’s desktop and mobile apps. On the PC and Mac, users will be able to open PDFs stored in Dropbox from within the latest versions of Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader; iOS users will be able to annotate and comment on PDFs stored in Dropbox from their iPhone or iPad, using Acrobat Reader mobile. This mobile feature will be coming to Android devices next year.

We want you to be able to collaborate with PDF files on Dropbox in as few steps, clicks, or swipes as possible. Ultimately, we want you to be able to work with any kind of file easily, from viewing to editing to sharing. Our collaboration with Adobe, the inventor of the PDF, is the next step in this process.

The company said the main benefits of the integration will be the ability to easily edit PDFs on the go (and having the changes saved to Dropbox automatically), being able to share updated PDFs quickly and easily with collaborators via Dropbox, and having quick access to the latest drafts of your PDFs from any device.

There are more than 18 billion PDF files stored in Dropbox, making it one of the most common file types on the cloud storage service. Anything that makes working with PDFs quicker and easier is likely to be welcomed by those who rely on them for business purposes.

Permalink to story.

I thought PDFs were mostly unchangeable (other than filling fields)....?

I thought PDFs were mostly unchangeable (other than filling fields)....?

You can do a whole bunch of stuff with pdfs using Acrobat DC :)
You can add comments (regular comments or stamps such as "paid" etc.), you can add filling/form fields as you stated, you can edit the actual content of the pdf such as the text, images, etc (great for documents where there is no word or indesign file available). Javascript can be added as well and the document can be edited to be optimized for print such as adding printer marks, bleed and managing the ink settings. If you want to archive the pdf at the company to meet ISO standards, you can save the document in PDF/X standard to ensure it stays the same indefinitely. A cool thing I learned is if you're an engineer or in some sort of business where you have to stamp many pages or drawings in the same spot, you simply load your stamp image into the watermark feature, and it will be applied to pages you specify. The last of which I know, you can add your digital signature (you can get one from companies such as Symantec) to the document to encrypt it and legally bond it to you. Nobody else can edit the document when you digitally sign it. And if you want someone else to sign the document, you can send it off to them using a form field and when they insert their signature into that field, you will be notified the moment they sign it. That's about all I know so far haha. I hope to take a course on Adobe Acrobat DC to learn more of what can be done with it.

Back