Adobe issues critical security bulletin for Flash Player, update ASAP

Shawn Knight

Staff member

firefox safari opera adobe flash player

Adobe has issued a security bulletin for its Flash Player software. The company recently identified three vulnerabilities that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of an affected system and recommends users update their product installations as soon as possible.

If you're running Google Chrome or Internet Explorer version 10 or 11 on Windows 8 or newer, you should be safe as these browsers will automatically update to the latest Adobe release under this OS - so long as you're running in "Metro" mode.

Those using Safari, Firefox, Opera or an older version of Internet Explorer need to download and install the update manually according to security expert Wolfgang Kandek. Additionally, you'll also need to check for a manual update if you're running Windows 7.

Heck, even if you think you might be in the clear, it couldn't hurt to pop over to Adobe's test page to see what version you currently have. You'll want to make sure that you have version 14.0.0.145. If not, just click here to download the latest release.

As Computerworld points out, the update takes care of three security threats although only one is of major concern. Skipping past the technical jargon, the major threat could allow an attacker to steal login credentials for some of the web's largest sites and services including eBay, Instagram and Tumblr.

Permalink to story.

As long as you use the Metro version you should be ok...

*feeling Microsoft haterz approaching, even though this is an adobe thing*

This coming from a company who had a playback problem with the picture freezing that went on for months, still going on I hear. Some Windows 8.1 computers just hang on playback and Adobe is still dragging their feet on a solution.

The listing Google Chrome first gives the wrong impression. The grammatical composition of the sentence makes it seem that Google Chrome used on a Windows operating system before Windows 8 has a problem. They should have reversed the two references, because that warning about needing Windows 8 only applies to Explorer. Flash is built into Chrome and automatically updates no matter what Windows operating system you have--XP, Vista, 7, etc.

Flash??? Come on. Apple went to HTML5 so people wouldn't have to worry about loading the latest Plug-Ins from other companies, like Flash and JAVA. On a side note: I hope Apple buys Adobe and Wacom and makes a tablet that runs Creative Cloud with a Wacom-style screen and stylus.

Can we all stop using this horribly coded software and move on to newer better, and more secure things? It's a pretty big hindrance to have to update Flash on a by weekly basis, all because someone could potentially take control of your system. I've uninstalled Flash now from all my systems, not trusting this crap anymore.

Back