TechSpot

Adobe issues emergency patch to fix a vulnerability being used to install nasty ransomware

By Shawn Knight
Apr 8, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Adobe has issued yet another emergency patch designed to patch a critical vulnerability in its Flash Player that’s being actively exploited in the wild.

The vulnerability, which would allow an attacker to take control of an unpatched system, affects Windows, Linux, Macintosh and Chrome OS. As Trend Micro points out, one of the vulnerabilities – CVE-2016-1019 – has been identified as being used by the Magnitude Exploit Kit to spread the Locky ransomware.

As the name suggests, the Locky ransomware is designed to look for and encrypt select files including documents, images, music, videos, archives and databases – you know, the stuff you really don’t want to lose. Once the files are encrypted, the victim is given the option to visit a Tor site and pay a ransom of 0.5 BTC (Bitcoin) to (hopefully) regain access to their files.

The good news here is that most modern browsers including Chrome, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge should automatically update their Flash Player plug-in to the latest version, otherwise you'll need to do it manually.

Once a lauded technology prominently used by millions upon millions of computers and mobile devices, Flash has served as a thorn in the side of consumers and security experts for years. Many have since moved on to HTML5, a different type of platform used to present content on the web.

Permalink to story.

2. jhill3d71

jhill3d71 TS Rookie

Just kill the plugin already. No one who uses Animate CC exports to SWF anymore anyway. It's all html5 export.

3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,557   +862

Seriously, kill it. End it now. Its an embarrassment.

thelatestmodel and Darth Shiv like this.
  4. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 817   +231

Don't have the plugin installed and use FlashBlock for any website that still uses it and I only click on videos I specifically opened to watch (which are few now). I do the same to every computer I work on and try and teach the user (tough task sometimes) to not click unless they clicked on a page for a video and they know the site.

5. lripplinger

lripplinger TS Addict Posts: 260   +90

Kill the plugin already. I uninstall it on every customer computer I get. If a website uses flash still, tough crap. Shame on any website still using it. Get on over to HTML5 already!

thelatestmodel and Darth Shiv like this.
  6. bugejakurt

bugejakurt TS Booster Posts: 157   +15

I only use it for Spotify Web player cause I don't want to install an app just for Spotify.