Adobe planning to use online activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Adobe has begun testing online activation of its Photoshop 7.0 application in Australia as a way of stemming the illegal use of its software. If the pilot is successful, and so far it is, the developer plans to begin using software activation in the US.

Few have been the companies that have been able to maintain in good shape sales after using similar activation techniques, not long ago we reported on Intuit taking back their decision after a failed transition to product activation.

What about if I already own a copy of Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and it never prompts me to online register?

I am sure that I remember reading that Photoshop is almost as pirated as Windows. And I think that Windows (or maybe Office) is the most pirated software in the world.

I tried to find a link with some info, but alas didn't find one.

However, one does pause to wonder that if Photoshop wasn't so ridiculously expensive, would it be pirated as much?

photoshop 7 may not prompt you to register but it does "phone home" sending your computer info and IP address to adobe the first time you acess the internet after installing it.

the price they want for photoshop 7 is absurd. especially when you consider that photoshop elements 2.0 has all the power and features of 7 except for the "healing brush" and you can buy elements 2.0 at super wal-mart for 58.00

I have been using paintshop pro 7.04 and can upgrade to the new 8.0 for 49.00 but I am seriously considering going with elements 2.0 instead since I have used it and it is a very nice and easy to use graphics suite.

I know you guys hate piracy and look down upon it. I actually do this, I use the cracked files, however, I don't crack them.

But for my firewall, I specify the only things that I want to access the internet. Currently Adobe PS does not have access to the net as well as many other programs that well yeah you know.

My problem may be Adobe Acrobat reader, you need to let that get internet access.

I have a bunch of programs such as XP-antispy (great tool for any cracked microsoft product).

Well, I'm going to shut up now because I know the majority of people here like to buy their programs.

That is the only way to support the hard work that goes into producing them. I am sure there are quite a few people that feel the same way you do, we just do not like to discuss it here.

Originally posted by XtR-X
Well, I'm going to shut up now because I know the majority of people here like to buy their programs.

Exactly.

Yes, I realize all the hard work they put into their programs. I have a good feeling for them. How? Well I took a year's course of Java programing and MAN was it hard. Now I've just got to imagine C++.

I would buy their products, but I'm not exactly rich enough to pay for everything, so, due to high prices, I download them. If any product I want is less than $50, sure I'd be glad to buy it. I support Norton! :)

I cracked Win XP's online activation pretty quickly, it was simply a matter of editing one system file in question with a hex editor...although at the moment I am running a legit copy of XP. So I'm sure there'll be a hack on the internet maybe a week after the online activation comes out.

Will it be effective regardless of a hack? Definitely.

Its incredible easy to crack WinXPs online activation, and I have tons of thousands of legit, valid keys (easy to come upon, if you have the right connections). They're smart, as they have disabled lots of keys, so you cant download Windows Updates, beacuse they know what keys are pirated, and what arnt. The way to get around it, is just go to activate it, select "Call Microsoft" or whatever the option is called, enter the legit key, and poof, you got windows :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back