Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.3 CPU & GPU Performance

Jos

Staff

When configuring a workstation for Premiere Pro, there is a huge variety of components that you need to choose from. Everything from what CPU and video card to the number and speed of drives you need should be taken into consideration. In this article we will be tackling the question of what CPU you need by looking at six different CPU options that you might consider in a workstation. These CPUs cover the highest end model from the standard Core i7 line, three of the "High End Desktop" Intel CPUs, and a pair of dual Xeon configurations with up to 28 physical cores.

Following the CPU tests we will look at the performance of Premiere Pro 2015.3 when exporting and generating previews with the latest Pascal video cards from Nvidia. Specifically, we will be testing both single and dual GPU configurations of the GTX 1060 6GB, GTX 1070 8GB, GTX 1080 8GB, and the Titan X 12GB video cards. In addition, we will also be testing the previous generation GTX 980 Ti 6GB to see if there is any significant performance advantages to using the latest cards.

Read the complete article.

AMD CPU benchmarks are mainly for curiosity at this point, I'd say. But yeah, AMD GPU's should be there.

Still, reasonably interesting article.

Some people seem to be severely confused into thinking this review for Workstations for professional production software with expensive annual subscriptions is for regular consumers with FX-6300 chips looking to "save money" on their funny cat Youtube uploads recorded on their personal $15k-$35k RED 6K camera they have just lying around the bedroom...

For those wondering why there is no AMD GPU: Adobe Premier makes heavy use of CUDA when accelerating effects.
As for AMD CPUs, in some situations they work well, but at the moment there is nothing that comes close to Intel's high end CPUs.

Last edited:
The review are for the latest cards - the 10xx series. For those who are clamoring for AMD cards, why bother. If we talk about latest released cards, the result will just be the same for each category.

AMD High-End Enthusiast: RX480
Mainstream Enthusiast: RX480
Mid: RX480

:p.
Preparing for barrage of Hardreset's cult.

The review are for the latest cards - the 10xx series. For those who are clamoring for AMD cards, why bother. If we talk about latest released cards, the result will just be the same for each category.

AMD High-End Enthusiast: RX480
Mainstream Enthusiast: RX480
Mid: RX480

:p.
Preparing for barrage of Hardreset's cult.
In this case maybe, but when it comes to workstations that need OpenCL performance then going with AMD GPUs is better depending on the application.

I would have liked to see if Adobe made good strides with OpenCL support since they first added it to the first CC version. Maybe Matt will help us with some benchmarks to compare CUDA and OpenCL in Adobe CC (Premiere, Photoshop, etc) and see if they reached parity.

The review are for the latest cards - the 10xx series. For those who are clamoring for AMD cards, why bother.

Uh, because the reviewed showed there's little benefit of anything faster than a 1070/980ti and AMD offer comparable cards to those. Plus even the RX 480 you mentioned is serious competition in other applications to the GTX 1060 which was included in the test.

Because anyone who necessarily needs a PC like this for Premiere Pro probably has done some research already. Research says AMD CPUs, even 8-Core FX Vishera and 6-Core Thuban, don't compete as close compared to recent Intel Core i7s. I wish people have tested as extensively as here and a few places but they havent. A h264 test on PPCS6 has a stock 8350 about 10 seconds off a stock 3770K. Compared to a 6700K, 6850K, 6900K, 6950X, and multi CPU builds an 8350 would be in a different category. Maybe once Zen comes out AMD CPUs will be included in these benchmarks. The RX 480 on the other hand seems to perform pretty well against the 1070, not sure why it wasn't tested. Maybe they didnt have the hardware available to test AMD components also, not enough time, wasn't their goal?

To bad they didn't include the "Building a 32-Thread Xeon Monster PC for less than the Price of a Haswell-E Core i7" machine that they hyped in an article a while back. It would be interesting to see where if fell in the scheme of the pricey components they did test.

Work with R3D files many years. Test - too wrong. You need 2xFast multicore Xeons to check perfomance of GPU, since with RED first step only CPU work and after it CUDA can help to transcode.

So, all part about GPU test with use of RED files - this is result of CPU performance

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you really used those RAMs and that amount 256GB?
The motherboard doesn't support ECC RAMs.. Also, it supports maximum 16GB per slot and 128GB in total.
Is there anything I'm missing?

Are you sure you really used those RAMs and that amount 256GB?
The motherboard doesn't support ECC RAMs.. Also, it supports maximum 16GB per slot and 128GB in total.
Is there anything I'm missing?
Asus X99 Deluxe II and Asus Z170-A should support a max of 512GB of ECC memory (8x 64GB).

Back