Adobeupdater.exe Issue: High CPU Usage/Won't Shut Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Route44

I have Adobe Reader 8 installed and I am having the continuous issue of its Adobeupdater.exe engaging when attmpting to download PDFs. The Task Manager shows this executable at 99% cpu load! Even after successfully downloading a PDF this executable remains.

I have attempted time and again to shut this down via the Task Manager but it won't. The only way I can get the processing CPU load to normal operation is to reboot and then the executable is not engaged.

Any ideas on how to correct this? I have tried to see if the updater would have a fix but it never connects. I am thinking of uninstalling and then reinstalling. I never had this issue with version 7.

Thanks

Yes, Adobe Reader 8 is a bloated program with many useless and unnecessary features.

To remove some of these you have to do some hacking.

Here is an edited version of THIS

1.Copy the Adobe setup files from here - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Setup files\*

to here C:\Temp\Adobe\*

2.Download THIS

3.Extract both files to C:\Windows\Adobe\* (the same as above)

4.Go to to the Run box and paste in - C:\Temp\Adobe\InstallAdobeReader8.CMD

5.The worst changes from Adobe 7 have now been removed, whilst keeping the rest of the program intact.

I uninstall Adobe and installed Foxit. I was amazed at how many files were left over!. But have you looked for a way to stop the auto-updating in the Adobe program itself? When I had this program, I did not enable auto-updating.

Here's the site if you want to take a look at the Foxit reader:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Bobbye said:
I uninstall Adobe and installed Foxit. I was amazed at how many files were left over!. But have you looked for a way to stop the auto-updating in the Adobe program itself? When I had this program, I did not enable auto-updating.

Here's the site if you want to take a look at the Foxit reader:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

I downloaded the free Adobe 8 and it appears that the autoupdater is automatic. I was not asked to prompt it.

I'll look into Foxit. So I take it that you really like Foxit? All I need to do is open, read, and if need be print PDF files.

I tried version 8 and uninstalled it.It was causing me problems too.
I didn't need it for just reading pdf's.
Install version 4 Adobe Acrobat Reader.Many of your cd's might include it,or do a google search.

Two things you can do to stop the Adobe auto-updater:

1. Delete the Adobe Update dll file from this folder:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\
and/or
2. Block it in your firewall.

Hi, I simply got rid of Adobe and went with Foxit Reader. It does the same thing and is only 2.2MB in size. The only time you might need Adobe is when the web page you're on needs an Adobe ActiveX control to work, but those web pages are few and far between.

I previously left the Foxit URL with the suggestion that the person asking the question might consider switching.

However if he does not, he should be able to disable the auto-update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back