Ads killing forum load speed

poertner_1274

I am having problems getting some of the ads to load properly. They are slowing down my TS browsing time tremendously.

It appears to be burstnet and tribalfusion

I'm not sure if it is something that work has done here, I'll test it when I get home to see if it is slow there too.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Edit: I tried to post the links, but there were too many equal signs and it was confusing it.

It happens to be the ads above the links and the one on the right of the forum usually.

I have the same issue. Right now, the ad above, didnt even load - you just see the boarder and the red "x" on the mini white page (follow?)

Though when the ads do load....then just take forever. The ad loads, then the page continues.

The problem is, it seems, that the board is forcing the ads to load before the forum / threads... so if the ad is timing out or its server is slow, you just have to suffer.

IMO that is done very poorly... if anything it should be the the other way around.

I've been aware of the problems ads could cause (thankfully our server is loading fast) so I've been working with BurstMedia which seems to be having the most problems with ads timing out at times, etc, Tribal seems fast enough to me in the other hand.

I have now uploaded a new set of code for tower ads, the ones that load at the right side of your screen. Using iframes like we do now will no longer interfere loading the rest of the page. The only downside to this is that Burst code doesn't seem to be loading properly for now inside an iframe (so you will end up with a white space instead of an ad) but still won't stop loading your page, so until they can fix that for us, there you have a solution.

... While we are on the subject, you know who we can also blame? Internet Explorer, that's right... IE is not table-loading friendly, unlike Opera and Mozilla that can download content inside tables on-the-fly. And with Microsoft lack of plans to update the browser, I've been sticking to Mozilla lately for the most part.

I'm getting that annoying error message that says runtime error line 25 access denied again.

Its only on this site.

You may well be working on the code right now...

Tribal fusion one isnt' loading at the top for me. Also the one on the right at least yesterday or maybe day before woudn't load and it would come up with a micro version of IEs page cannot be displayed thing.

Right now the googlesyndication one (on the right side) loaded up, but personally I don't like it. Does TS get more money for that side one or something, I can take the screen being vertically inhibited, but this horizontal stuff I don't like. If it must stay thats ok, I'm not going to run away from the site or anything, I just don't like the side column banners very much.

Edited for more powah!

The one at the top doesn't load for me either, and the one one the right is just annoying. It makes the setup of the entire page look odd.

Wow it appears that SNGX is really protesting that ad. Maybe he is just sleep deprived??and angry!!

But I will have to agree that it makes things look scruntched and different.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
Wow it appears that SNGX is really protesting that ad....
Yeh I don't like it. Horizontal screen space is very valuable - banner ads have no place there.

Originally posted by TS | Julio
... While we are on the subject, you know who we can also blame? Internet Explorer, that's right... IE is not table-loading friendly, unlike Opera and Mozilla that can download content inside tables on-the-fly. And with Microsoft lack of plans to update the browser, I've been sticking to Mozilla lately for the most part.
I use Opera 7.11 and I get the same problems. Ads are loading very slowly. :confused:

Originally posted by SNGX1275
I just don't like the side column banners very much.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Yeah, Julio - I am sorry to say it, but I think that one was a bad move.

I agree, the side ads are annoying, but I guess you can get more on the page, so it'll boost revenue. I should also mention that forum speed does seem a lot better today.

I don't see any ads on techspot or the boards. I do have an ad blocker, the one integrated with Norton Firewall, and I guess what you guys mean by the side ads is that open space to the right.

Hmm, This is odd, yesterday evening the ad on the right was gone, yet this morning it is back although the image is broken.

It is still very annoying and makes the page somewhat awkward.

I'm still having loading issues with that right side banner. I think it should be moved to top or bottom if not elminated entirely.

I haven't had a problem with the ad's loading improperly, but I have had problems with the actual content loading incorrectly.

GROO8582CustomImage1463425.jpg

The last 24 hours this has happened every 3-4 times I click a link on TS.

Ok, so the tower ads are now gone :).

Notice that this was more of a test run for future campaigns as it's not my interest to bother you with ROS campaigns showing at all times while you browse the boards but in the future we might have to, in order to raise inventory for meeting certain campaigns requirements... these only come once or twice a year, if that, anyway.

As all of you should know by now however, TechSpot is 100% advertisement funded, we do not endorse usage of Ad blockers (pop up blockers being the exception).

I understand that Julio, just that side one was killing me. I'd click on 25 ads before I'd willfully accept that side one :)

Back