ADSL modem query

Status
Not open for further replies.

logo5961

Hi everyone
i hope this problem is in the right forum. Apologies to everybody this makes no sense to and for my ignorance regarding this. At the moment i connect to the internet via freeserve/wanadoo with the ADSL broadband modem (a Thompson speedtouch) that they provided. This has now failed. What i would like to know is if i went and installed a different ADSL modem bought from any PC shop would i still be able to access the internet via freeserve/wanadoo. The reason i ask this is that when i spoke to their customer services they said i had to use a modem supplied by them. I thought all they had done was supply an ADSL modem free to encourage me to use them as an ISP. They now seem to be claiming that i have to have to use the modem they supply which no doubt they can resupply at a handsome fee. Does anybody out there know any different. Can i use any modem to access the net using freeserve/wanadoo's software or do i have to use theirs. Thanks in advance for any answers

there is a hi propability this would work, IF ...
you had all the config info AND
you did not require help/support from the ISP.

there are companies that repackage OEM hardware with new docs and
cases with their logos, but the real guts are brand name hardware.

Thanks for the quick reply jobeard, when i went on freeserve/wanadoo they supplied a CDROM with their software and a driver for the modem on it and the modem. The modem itself has not been rebranded as it still has all the Thomson original labelling on it and it looks identical to the speedtouch 330 on the Thomson website. As far as configuring my system i have all the username and password information to hand. I had to config it manually when i joined them and this query is the first time i have been to their help/support in all the time i have been with them. What would be the clincher to this problem is if there is anybody out there using freeserve/wanadoo as a broadband ISP with a modem they bought themselves. I don't mind buying my own modem i just don't want to have to then go back and pay for a modem off my ISP provider because the one i bought elsewhere does not allow me to connect to the net

logo5961 said:
I don't mind buying my own modem i just don't want to have to then go back and pay for a modem off my ISP provider because the one i bought elsewhere does not allow me to connect to the net
my point is; I doubt that COULD or even would occur, unless you have a contract that states that info.

Choose aa ADSL modem/router

Any ADSL modem will work fine. As Joebeard pointed out it will not be supported by Wanadoo. Should you check this before rushing out look for a ethernet modem/router rather than a USB modem. They're not a lot dearer and are less troublesome plus they give you another layer of protection via NAT.

Ironduke i had not even thought of that. It may kill two birds with one stone as a two port router will allow me to set up internet access for my sons PC using the same connection. I have checked with my ISP and you are right they will not support this but they have sent me all the settings i will need to configure the router. Ironduke and jobeard :grinthumb

i am setting up a router and have the same modem but as it is usb powered will not connect to the router. i dont know much about them so was wondering if i bought a router with ethernet connection what i would have to do to use it with wanadoo. i still have all the info provided by wanadoo then freeserve when i registered

Choose a modem/router

An ADSL modem/router combination is the better and easiest way to go. This gives you one box that plugs into your broadband outlet and the computer(s) plug into the router via Cat 5 patch leads. Setup is normally through your web browser. Here you will enter your username and password.

Danny 2322, ironduke put me on the right track with this problem, what he said is definately correct. If you are trying to set up more than 1 computer on the network you are better using an ADSL router that has RJ45 connections rather than USB if there is any distance between the PC's and the ADSL router because of limitations on the length of USB cable due to power loss. Depending on how many ports you need £20-£35 should cover the ADSL modem router and another £2-£3 for the RJ45 cables. If your motherboard does not have a built in LAN connection you will need network cards, you can get these for about £5 each. The driver CD that comes with the ADSL modem will install the typical UK settings leaving you to just enter your username and password during installation. Prices courtesy of www.aria.co.uk. Hope this helps

like i said i dont know much about this i have my pc conected to the router but i dont have the internet so alll i need to do is change my modem to one with an ethernet conectioni hope. but to do this do i have to reinstall using the software freeserve/wanadoo propvided when i first recieved the modem. or anything else please explain as simply as possible please

If you are connected to your router then like you said what you need is an ethernet connection modem. When i connected up i made sure the freeserve software was already installed. Then i connected the new hardware and installed the drivers off the CD that came with it (UK location, typical settings), then a window asked for my ISP username and password once all this had been installed connecting to freeserve/wanadoo was no different.

so i just conect the new modem then insert the software CD from previous modem and follow onscreen steps? thank you for the help so far

No the modem supplied by freeserve will be a Thomson or an Alcatel speedtouch modem. The modem you buy should have a CD with it with the drivers for that modem. In your case your ISP will be freeserve/wanadoo and you type in the username you have with them (eg smith123.freeserve.co.uk@fs) and your logon password when the software asks for it

ok thx for the help anyone no of any modems that would be a good choice without spending too much as i dont know which ones are reliable etc

Other forum members may be able to give better advice but I found that the majority of stand alone ADSL modems were USB. The few ethernet ones i found were almost triple the price of the USB modems. Oddly the combined ethernet connection modem/routers were often cheaper than the modem on its own.

Have a good christmas yourself and once again thanks for the help and advice at the start of this thread :grinthumb

danny2322 said:
like i said i dont know much about this i have my pc conected to the router but i dont have the internet so alll i need to do is change my modem to one with an ethernet conectioni hope. but to do this do i have to reinstall using the software freeserve/wanadoo propvided when i first recieved the modem. or anything else please explain as simply as possible please
so you now have
router <-->one or more PCs​
the new modem will go like this
modem<-->router <-->one or more PCs​
Your PCs stay connected to the router and you don't need
USB adaptors in the PCs.

The new cabling between the router and the modem will depend upon whatever
is common between them. Most routers use ethernet for all connections. A modem with
USB is typically used to connect directly to the PC w/o a router.

Hi,

Seems a bit suspicious to me, I would phone Wandoo again and ask to speak to speak to a Team Leader. You'll find that alot of the time you phone ISP's you'll actually speak to someone who is brand new at the job and you might not get the right information the first time round them. Even so I find it really hard to believe that you can only use modems that they supply to connect to their ADSL service.

Sorry I cant provide more info as I am not sure if the U.k's ADSL works in the same way as Australia's, if it does they are taking you for a ride and you will be able to connect to there service with any ADSL modem if you have your Username and Password.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back