ADSL Router Quiery

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikescorpio81

Hi all ...

Wouldn't mind a little help with something im doing at home if anyone knows!

Basically, I have built a server pc running Server 2003 recently, and I built my client pc a while ago. My client pc has internet access through a Netcomm NB1300 ADSL Modem Router connected via USB. The router has 2 ports, one is running into the phone line & with the other one I have patch cable running to the server. My questions are as follows:
Should the Server pc be connected via USB & the client via patch cable? I am scared of losing my settings but atm server pc cannot connect to the net. Also, if I turn off DHCP inside the routers settings & setup DHCP on Server pc, will it continue to run the same? I noticed that if I only have the server pc connected to the router then it can connect to the internet. But in general what I would like to happen is to have both pc's able to access the internet & have Server pc looking after DHCP. (Do I need a working DNS maybe first?)

Anyway any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks ... MG :grinthumb

The reason your server can not connect to the internet is because the USB/CAT5 is a way of connecting 1 device to the internet.

You can not use both as a means of connecting.

Your options.

1. run CAT5 from ADSL router into SERVER 1 NIC (NIC1WAN) then install a second NIC in the server that will connect via cross over cable to Client 1.
from there you have the physical configured now you will need to configure the software... which can be done a few ways. configure ICS on server to share connection with client 1. (Downside SERVER1 has to stay up and available at all times for CLIENT 1 to access internet. (probably not the best idea but cheapest ... retail cost about 30 bucks for another NIC and crossover cable.

2. Purchase yourself a Cable/DSL router. Cost anywhere between 30$ and higher.. to configure hardware. connect ADSL modem CAT5 into the WAN port on the router.
connect each computer to one of the ports on the router. Physical section configured..
Software configuration, go to the routers configuration page typically http://192.168.1.1 and configure router depending on the type of ADSL modem you have. ( best overall option and gives you much room to add other systems....

I understand ... thanks for that! :grinthumb

From what I know about my router modem is that you can brigde is so as to allow 2 active ports access to itself. But now im thinking, could I use red crossover cable from one machine to the router? I dont like the idea of 2 NIC's but if its neccessary then by all means.

Oh, & I dont mind if the Server is on 24/7 ... thats my plan anyway. In the real world a Servers always on & I plan 2 make it as real as possible (for test purposes).

Also, off the topic for 1 sec (but dont stray people! stick 2 the prob at hand!) where the hell is administrative tools in Server 2003?! Last night I installed DNS, DHCP, Simple TCP/IP, WINS & from what I know about Server 2000 (quite abit) its START-PROGRAMS-ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS- blah blah blah ... It didnt set it up this way in 03. Strange! Maybe im tripping ... I mean it was late n all! But its not where it should be & that sux (i'll find it!)

I'll be tinkering with this all night (at work atm) & im sure i'll stuff up somewhere! but yeah ... guess thats how u learn :haha:

Umm.. it should be the same place.

if you cant find it in the >programs>Administrative tools.

then you can go to control panel and access admin tools from there.

I will check on your questions about allowing the ADSL router multiple active connections via USB and CAT5.

After reading the documentation on the NETCOMM 1300 it states that you can use USB and NIC at the same time so in theory your configuration should work.

Have you installed the drivers for the USB.

after rereading your post i see your problem its actually simple.

You have DHCP services installed on the server and of course that simply will not work. if DHCP is setup on the server it means it has a static IP address and is feeding the other systems that request an IP address.
You need to set the Server to DHCP(automatically obtain ip address) in TCP/IP settings of your NIC properties. Disable all of your DNS/WINS/DHCP services running on this server because they will cause a conflict.

You have DHCP services installed on the server and of course that simply will not work. if DHCP is setup on the server it means it has a static IP address and is feeding the other systems that request an IP address.
You need to set the Server to DHCP(automatically obtain ip address) in TCP/IP settings of your NIC properties. Disable all of your DNS/WINS/DHCP services running on this server because they will cause a conflict.

Nice mate ... very nice! As simple as that lets hope! :grinthumb

FYI -

USB & Patch cable connection just dosen't work together. For the life of me I dont know why, but I tried all w/e to no avail. What I have done now is ordered a D-Link Wireless Router (which will come in handy 4 meh laptop) with 4 RJ45 Ports. I'll use crossover cat-5 cableing & connect it to the uplink port on the NB1300 Router Modem (which is connected via USB to client pc). ATM I managed to get it back to original state whereby client is connected via USB & internet is fine once again. Keeping it this way (& not mucking around with the routers settings) its as simple as previously stated ... yeah anyone?? I mean I can then just patch cable the Server pc into any of the D-Link ports yeah?

Thanx 4 ur suggestions b4 ... helped alot :grinthumb

PS: I am such a tripper! Administrative tools is as simple as Toolbar Properties - Classic View - Customise & add it in there (duh!) :giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back