Advanced Tech Support

circusboy01

I had a company called Advanced Tech Support remotely tune up my computer. But they could not do it until I had Verizon come out and see why my download speed was only 0.43. Verizon found the problem and got my download speed up.After that ATS took my computer over for about 3 hours. Now all my downloads are fast and buffering problems are gone.
I think probably though. Just upping the speed would have fixed the problem. But I had already payed them So I let them do the work..
Here's my question. I watched them remove my "Revo uninstaller", my "Should I remove it" and my "Spybot" When I asked the representative why she said because they all have a bad reputation for Malware. Has anybody here heard this about these 3 programs.? I sure haven't. Unless you guys here at TS warn me not to I'm going to put them back. Especially since I like the way Revo gets rid of the extra crap. and Spybot has found things that MBAM and SAS didn't Thanks

Personally I've never had any "Malware" problems related to revo that I know of. I think (s)he just didn't like the program. I'm not familiar with "Should I remove it" & I quit using Spybot when they updated the program a few years ago.:)

I still use Spybot on my Win/7 Pro 64bit system to control startup programs, but no longer allow Resident ( SDHelper or TeaTimer) services.

Spywareblaster is still very useful to block domains by updates to etc\hosts

Advance tech support is a scam. Never used it but I have seen first hand how they mess computers up.

Last edited:
Personally I've never had any "Malware" problems related to revo that I know of. I think (s)he just didn't like the program. I'm not familiar with "Should I remove it" & I quit using Spybot when they updated the program a few years ago.:)

I guess I will wait for a few more pro Revo opinions like yours, and download Revo again.
Should I remove it is a great program. Got it from either Give away of the day, or Filehippo. It gives you other peoples opinions about programs you download, by letting you know how many people say keep it and how many people say remove it.
The ones with very few "remove it's" will have, like a green stripe and 1 to stars depending. The ones with very few "keep it's" will have red stripes.
I really don't have any proof, one way or another that it brings Malware. But just from the type program it is I would think it doesn't. I'm hoping that the majority opinion, here at TS is that it's safe. Because I really like it.

I guess I will wait for a few more pro Revo opinions like yours, and download Revo again.
Should I remove it is a great program. Got it from either Give away of the day, or Filehippo. It gives you other peoples opinions about programs you download, by letting you know how many people say keep it and how many people say remove it.
The ones with very few "remove it's" will have, like a green stripe and 1 to stars depending. The ones with very few "keep it's" will have red stripes.
I really don't have any proof, one way or another that it brings Malware. But just from the type program it is I would think it doesn't. I'm hoping that the majority opinion, here at TS is that it's safe. Because I really like it.
I still use Spybot on my Win/7 Pro 64bit system to control startup programs, but no longer allow Resident ( SDHelper or TeaTimer) services.

I knew you could not use the "Teatimer" . I didn't know the S&D part was an option.
So less chance of Malware if you don't use "Teatimer, or S&D ?

Advance tech support is a scam. Never used but I have seen first hand how they mess computers up.

Thanks for the warning. So far it doesn't look like the program messed my computer up. But, I won't be using their $14.99 per month,tune up and fix any new problems program.

Thanks for the warning. So far it doesn't look like the program messed my computer up. But, I won't be using their $14.99 per month,tune up and fix any new problems program.
You should be safe & not sorry by going & visiting Broni. He'll take awesome care of your pc

If you haven't already. Just reinstall your programs. Revo and spybot are not malware. Neither is( should I remove it) program. I think what she was referring to was. There is malware out there . That disguise It self as REVO. You just need to make sure when you down load these programs . You get them from their websites.

Last edited:
Third party software or people to remove other junk third party software?
How many random applications are you downloading... :p

I would just become aware of all the processes and services you are running, spend a day or two learning them all and you will never need spyware, antivirus and all these other applications that take up valuable processor overhead and ram.

Either way, I always find the best bet is a fresh OS install, after time t hose many 'questionable' programs may have made changes to registry and other... making a USB Windows 7 or 8 OS installer is so easy and conveinant. Then you wont need to waste money, time and effort on any of these Soft-warez.
On a fresh install you can check the total number of processes running and maintain that number as a lazy way of doing business.

If you enjoy video games, I would use 2 diff. disks, each with its own OS, then setup dual-boot which is darn simple and you could have a gaming OS and a tinker OS.

I dunno, ultimately, the time you spend waiting around on others to fix ur problems could easily be used to do some research via Google... I've never run into a s/w problem/issue I couldn't fix on my own and im just an average fellow...

I would just become aware of all the processes and services you are running, spend a day or two learning them all and you will never need spyware, antivirus and all these other applications that take up valuable processor overhead and ram.

Even if I knew everything you mention, I'd NEVER operate a pc without protection.JMHO. :)

Either way, I always find the best bet is a fresh OS install, after time t hose many 'questionable' programs may have made changes to registry and other... making a USB Windows 7 or 8 OS installer is so easy and conveinant. Then you wont need to waste money, time and effort on any of these Soft-warez.
On a fresh install you can check the total number of processes running and maintain that number as a lazy way of doing business.

If you enjoy video games, I would use 2 diff. disks, each with its own OS, then setup dual-boot which is darn simple and you could have a gaming OS and a tinker OS.

I dunno, ultimately, the time you spend waiting around on others to fix ur problems could easily be used to do some research via Google... I've never run into a s/w problem/issue I couldn't fix on my own and im just an average fellow...

Your theory is true to a point. But you really don't need to download to end up with a computer full of spyware. Just not knowing what is safe and whats not. When on the internet. Plus not all spywares runs in your processes. and not everyone wants to install a fresh copy of windows. When ever they feel something might be wrong.

Most of the programs they use are free. So no they are not spending a lot. Most people are not like you and can fix their computers. Their are a lot out their that don't know how. How do I know this . I repair computers.

Last edited:
You should be safe & not sorry by going & visiting Broni. He'll take awesome care of your pc
I just looked at my screen and realized I never reinstalled ABP+ What a dummy. I'll do it before the days over,
First. To you and everyone that replied. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I just got home last Wed. after spending a week in the hospital after back surgery.
I haven't been on the computer much because I'm not supposed to sit for long periods of time. Besides it hurts to do so.
Broni's help is very good advice. But I'm really not having any problems now. There is something I want to talk about, and a question about what I had done . I will ask it after I have replied to everyones comments.

If you haven't already. Just reinstall your programs. Revo and spybot are not malware. Neither is( should I remove it) program. I think what she was referring to was. There is malware out there . That disguise It self as REVO. You just need to make sure when you down load these programs . You get them from their websites.

All my programs seem to be working fine. I haven't gotten around to reinstalling Revo, and Spybot because of being in the hospital. Will do that today.

Waste money, time and effort on any of these Soft-warez.

I dunno, ultimately, the time you spend waiting around on others to fix ur problems could easily be used to do some research via Google... I've never run into a s/w problem/issue I couldn't fix on my own and im just an average fellow...[/quote]

Good advice. Which I will pay attention to in the future. Like I said. Everything seems to be working fine. I don't play video games, but I would like to add another disk. I like the thought of having massive Harddrive space.

Even if I knew everything you mention, I'd NEVER operate a pc without protection.JMHO. :)

Neither have I. But in the past I used to pay for it. Hate to give props to Tech? (you know the one I got kicked off from ) but they turned me on to the free stuff.

O.K. Here's what I want to say to everyone. I truly believe that Advanced Tech Support scammed me. (Not trying to get a refund. Whats done is done)
On the second day of talking to them they did a speed test and it showed that I wasn't getting the speed that I should be getting from Verizon..
Verizon came out and fixed the problem. Everything worked great. But ATS took over my computer for a few hours. I guess so I would think I was getting my monies worth. All they really did was remove Revo, Spybot, Should I remove it, and ABP things that didn't need removing.
I am set up now to pay them $15.00 a month to keep an eye on things. I can cencel anytime which I will.
Here's what kind of has me worried. When I cancel I am going to tell them why, and that I'm not real happy with them.
They took over my computer in the past. Can they still do it again, after I cancel without me knowing, and add some bad crap. So they can falsely, show that I really do need them? Is there a way I can prevent this? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear your not feeling well. Hope you get to feeling up to par soon. I can imagine how you feel I went threw back surgery about 10 years ago.

Glad to hear the computer is running great.

O.K. Here's what I want to say to everyone. I truly believe that Advanced Tech Support scammed me. (Not trying to get a refund. Whats done is done)
On the second day of talking to them they did a speed test and it showed that I wasn't getting the speed that I should be getting from Verizon..
Verizon came out and fixed the problem. Everything worked great. But ATS took over my computer for a few hours. I guess so I would think I was getting my monies worth. All they really did was remove Revo, Spybot, Should I remove it, and ABP things that didn't need removing.
I am set up now to pay them $15.00 a month to keep an eye on things. I can cencel anytime which I will.
Here's what kind of has me worried. When I cancel I am going to tell them why, and that I'm not real happy with them.
They took over my computer in the past. Can they still do it again, after I cancel without me knowing, and add some bad crap. So they can falsely, show that I really do need them? Is there a way I can prevent this? Thanks

Turn off remote assistance . In your control panel. Plus uninstall any software they may have had you install.

You know me well enough to know I always use protection. Pretty much the same things that you use,

Sorry to hear your not feeling well. Hope you get to feeling up to par soon. I can imagine how you feel I went threw back surgery about 10 years ago.

Glad to hear the computer is running great.
Thanks.

Turn off remote assistance . In your control panel. Plus uninstall any software they may have had you install.

One thing that showed up, after they were finished, was a Realplayer folder. Which seems unnecessary to me, as I already have all my music in Realplayer (cloud) ready to play at the click of the mouse.
I deleted the folder. But had to put it back, because my songs would not play straight from Realplayer. As they had done before ATS.
If I get rid of remote asst. in the control panel, will my songs play straight from the player, as before, or am I still going to have to keep the folder? Thanks.

Me again. Where do I turn off remote asst. in control panel?

Yes your songs should still play. To get rid of remote assistance go to the control panel. Once it opens . Click on system I con. Once this opens. On the left side of the window. You should see Remote settings. Click there . Once it opens . At the top of the window. You should see remote assistance. Just uncheck the bock next to it. Plus make sure any software they may have had you install is out of your system.

Your theory is true to a point. But you really don't need to download to end up with a computer full of spyware. Just not knowing what is safe and whats not. When on the internet. Plus not all spywares runs in your processes. and not everyone wants to install a fresh copy of windows. When ever they feel something might be wrong.

Most of the programs they use are free. So no they are not spending a lot. Most people are not like you and can fix their computers. Their are a lot out their that don't know how. How do I know this . I repair computers.

"Most people are not like you, and can fix their computers." You make me sound pathetic. ;0) I'm not completely dumb. Really. I can install, uninstall, reinstall programs I have, and know how to use my virus and malware protections. Heck. I even know how to bring myself back to factory settings. ;0)
Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I didn't need your help. I, very much, did, and I'm grateful for it.
Thanking back. What I didn't realize, before I contacted ATS, was that Verizon wasn't giving me the speed that it should. Which was a real lack of brain power on my part.

Yes your songs should still play. To get rid of remote assistance go to the control panel. Once it opens . Click on system I con. Once this opens. On the left side of the window. You should see Remote settings. Click there . Once it opens . At the top of the window. You should see remote assistance. Just uncheck the bock next to it. Plus make sure any software they may have had you install is out of your system.

Thanks. I unchecked the remote assistance box, and when I sent the Realplayer file to the trash,the songs played straight from Realpayer. Like they used to. Oops. almost forgot. I need to check for stuff they installed.
Again. Thank you very much.

Circusboy
That was not toward you. (most people are not like you) I was making a point to GuyGagon. I was directing this at him. Sorry if you thought I meant it toward you.

Would turning remote assistance off, kill the use of TeamViewer?

Back