advantage.exe on my system - should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gubar

Hi,

I've just downloaded daemon tools to run Maya tutorials that I have in .iso format. I believed it was well known and reliable freeware.

Norton has just flagged up that it has detected something called advantage.exe on my system - should I be worried about this, and if so how can I remove it? Did this come with daemon tools? I downloaded it from the proper site.

Any help appreciated,

gubar

Your system may well be infected with some very nasty malware.

Please download FindAWF to your Desktop.
Double-click FindAWF.exe to start the tool.
Select "option #1 - Scan for bak folders" by typing 1 and press Enter
When the tool has completed, a report will open up in notepad. Please post the results of the awf.txt as an attachment.

Also, please post a HJT log as per these instructions.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of gubar only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi and thanks ,

here are the files you asked for.

Since my last post, I searched for files called "advantage" and my computer showed two (advantage.exe and one other). I scanned with spyware detector, which found one virus (in the combofix folder, which I think is some anti virus soft I had from a while ago) and one piece of serious malware. I removed them both.

Once I searched again, both of the files with "advantage" in the name had gone. I don' t know if this means I can assume I'm free or not.

Anyway, here they are,

thanks again,

gubar

Both your log files are clean. However, you`re running an outdated version of HJT and have obviously not followed the instructions I gave you.

Please post a fresh uptodate HJT log as per the instructions.

This thread is for the use of gubar only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Good news is it`s still clean.

It looks as though your problem is solved and you didn`t have the real nasty infection I thought you might have had. I for one am really pleased about that.

So, unless you`re still having problems, you should be good to go.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Thank you very much Howard,

it's not the first time you've helped me out on this board. It's much appreciated and good to know there's somewhere to go once things go wrong, which they often do, even if it wasn't too bad (this time),

Regards,

gubar

This thread is now closed: If you need this thread unlocking, please pm a moderator with a link to the thread.

Only the original thread starter can do this. Anyone else, will be ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back