Advice on a new machine

By captaindj2006
Apr 24, 2009
  1. Hi everyone,

I know you guys see this post all of the time, in fact that is how I found the site.

I am interested in getting a new PC and need some advice. I am a true multimedia guy but not a gamer. I use all of the CS3 and soon to be CS4 suite. I animate using 3DS Max. I create and edit videos, etc. I need a machine that will do that and speech recognition, unlike my current one due to internal feedback. Something is going on just not sure what.

Speech recognition and dependability are very important. I am disabled and it is difficult to take it to a shop, ship it off etc. I also use it for work, so it has to work.

I have heard good things about AlienWare but they seem you are paying for a good product and a name. I don't need fancy lights.

I am a software guy noy a hardware guy. This is what I built at AW for $3,500.

Opinions? Where could I do better?

Thaks in advance.

[1] Area-51® X58

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-965 Extreme 3.2 GHz 8MB Cache
    Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Space Black
    AlienFX®: Alienware® Standard System Lighting - Fusion Red
    Alienware P2 Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® Standard System Cooling
    Power Supply: Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
    Graphics Processor: Single 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 9800 GT
    Video Optimizer: AlienAdrenaline v1.0: Video Performance Optimizer - More Info
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 3 x 2048MB
    Motherboard: Alienware® Approved Intel® X-58 Motherboard- Socket 1366 Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory
    Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1
    System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache
    Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVD±RW, CD-RW)
    Enthusiast Essentials: Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports
    Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio
    Keyboard: Standard Keyboard - Standard Keyboard
    Mouse: Standard Mouse - Standard Optical 3-Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel
    Warranty: 2-Year AlienCare Onsite Service and 24/7 Toll-Free Phone Support
    Alienware Extras: Alienware® Mesh Cap
    Alienware Extras: Alienware® Desktop Binder
    Alienware Extras: Owner Identification Card
    Alienware Extras: Internal Wire Management
    Window Style: Default Window Style
    Mouse Pointers: Standard Mouse Pointers
    Power Plan: Standard Power Plan
    Automatic Updates: Automatic Updates On
    Sidebar Gadgets: Calendar
    Sidebar Gadgets: Contact List (ref. Windows Address Book)
    Time Zones: (GMT - 6.00) Central Time (US & Canada)
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

What is your disability? I ask because knowing your condition would help us, help you better. I have Cerebral Palsy from birth
  3. captaindj2006

captaindj2006 TS Rookie Topic Starter

i'm a quad

I'm a C5-C6 quad. Paralyzed from my chest down & use a stick in my brace to type with.
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

Ok I'm familiar with your type of disability. The Alienware computer specs are quite good. They are known for their gaming abilities, but it would certainly suit your needs. What speech recognition software will you use? Sound system?
  5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

I would recommend going for a laptop from Dell's Studio or Studio XPS series, purely for the ease of repair etc. They do not break down often either since build quality is top-notch.

But if you want a desktop, the Alienware PC is overpriced. I would recommend this PC instead. Just customize it by choosing the i7 940 instead of the default i7 920, and the Corsair CMPSU-650TX power supply instead of the 580W one it comes with. You can customize the rest as per your needs.

Much, much cheaper and you will not see any noticeable performance increase from getting the parts in the Alienware PC over the ones in this machine.
  6. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,433   +143

What Rage_3K_Moiz said, but I would consider a larger harddrive, though that is more of an opinion.
  7. captaindj2006

updated quote

OK, I am trying to apply what you are suggesting. I do like the laptop suggestion but I am concerned about the horsepower. Would this work for graphics and video editing? Am I losing much by going this direction?

Also, the new Microsoft OS is out now. Should I go with it instead of Vista?

Precision M6400, Intel Core 2 Duo T9800, 2.93GHz, 1066MHZ 6M L2 Cache, Dual Core
    8.0GB, DDR3-1066 SDRAM, 4 DIMMfor Mobile Precision
    Internal Backlit English Keyboard for Mobile Precision
    Documentation (English) Latitude E-Family/Mobile Precision
    512MB NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M Mobile Precision M6400
    320GB Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive 9.5MM, 7200RPM, Dell Mobile Precision MX300,FactoryInstall
    No Fingerprint Reader for Mobile Precision M6400
    17 inch Wide Screen WXGA+ LCD for Mobile Precision M6400
    Vista Business 64-BIT Service Pack 1, with media, English Mobile Precision
    Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth 2.1 Minicard for Latitude E/Mobile Precision
    No Modem for Mobile PrecisionMX400
    210W 3-Pin, AC Adapter for Mobile Precision
    US - 6-FT, 3-Pin Flat Power Cord for Mobile Precision
    8X DVD+/-RW slot load for Mobile Precision
    Roxio Creator Dell Edition,9.0Dell Latitude/Mobile Precision
    Cyberlink Power DVD 8.1,with Media,Dell Latitude/Mobile Precision
    Integrated megapixel VGA webcam with single digital microphone, Mobile Precision M6400
    Intel WiFi Link 5300 (802.11 a/g/n 3X3) 1/2 MiniCard for VPRO Latitude E/Mobile Precision
    320GB Additional Hard Drive 9.5MM, 7200RPM FFS for Mobile Precision M6400
    Resource DVD with Diagnostics and Drivers for Mobile Precision M6400
    All Hard Drives Non- RAID for 1 to 2 Hard Drives, Dell Mobile Precision M6400
    9-Cell/85-WHr Battery for Latitude E/Mobile Precision
    17 inch Wide Screen WXGA+ LCD for Mobile Precision M6400
    17 inch Wide Screen LCD Silver Cover for Mobile Precision M6400
    Integrated VGA webcam with single digital mic, Mobile Precision M6400
    Dell Webcam Central Software for Dell Latitude/Mobile Precision
    Dell Hardware Limited Warranty Plus Onsite Service Extended Year
    Dell Hardware Limited Warranty Plus Onsite Service Initial Year
    Dell Wireless 5720 Mobile Broadband (EV-DO Rev A) Mini-Card, Verizon (with GPS) Mobile Precision
    Intel Centrino 2 Core Duo Processor
    Info SKU-Software and Peripherals products and solutions catalog included in system boxes
  8. davisjaron

davisjaron TS Member Posts: 82

stick with vista for now, because the RC that's out will only last a year... but definitely go with the cyber power pc rather than an alienware or dell... i personally hate dells, the studio xps line is their only decent line in my opinion.
  9. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

10. captaindj2006

Hi Kim,

actually no. It is Dennis.
  11. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Thanks Dennis, but I was referring to davisjaron
    I noticed that he had the same IP as a member with another username, who happened to have an issue with Dell (ironically)

And I just wanted to really make sure that all knew that Dell is actually quite good
    When Dell first came out, they decided to use only parts that were reputable, they still stand by that.
  12. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,433   +143

Wow, stalker much, thats interesting, but are you looking everyone up? It is very strange to know two members have the same IP address AND remember their names :).

Reputable, but not exceedingly outstanding, and of course, they wouldn't bear to lose money, or rather earn a lot.

Yes you are actually, not only are laptops not made for heavy loads, but the CPU is a dual core, quad cores shine brighter than any dual core by a wide margin.
    I would recommend Cyperpower, with a selection of parts we could recommend.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.