Advice on a new machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I know you guys see this post all of the time, in fact that is how I found the site.

I am interested in getting a new PC and need some advice. I am a true multimedia guy but not a gamer. I use all of the CS3 and soon to be CS4 suite. I animate using 3DS Max. I create and edit videos, etc. I need a machine that will do that and speech recognition, unlike my current one due to internal feedback. Something is going on just not sure what.

Speech recognition and dependability are very important. I am disabled and it is difficult to take it to a shop, ship it off etc. I also use it for work, so it has to work.

I have heard good things about AlienWare but they seem you are paying for a good product and a name. I don't need fancy lights.

I am a software guy noy a hardware guy. This is what I built at AW for $3,500.

Opinions? Where could I do better?

Thaks in advance.

D

[1] Area-51® X58

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-965 Extreme 3.2 GHz 8MB Cache
Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Space Black
AlienFX®: Alienware® Standard System Lighting - Fusion Red
Alienware P2 Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® Standard System Cooling
Power Supply: Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Graphics Processor: Single 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 9800 GT
Video Optimizer: AlienAdrenaline v1.0: Video Performance Optimizer - More Info
Memory: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 3 x 2048MB
Motherboard: Alienware® Approved Intel® X-58 Motherboard- Socket 1366 Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory
Operating System (Office software not included): Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache
Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Enthusiast Essentials: Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports
Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio
Keyboard: Standard Keyboard - Standard Keyboard
Mouse: Standard Mouse - Standard Optical 3-Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel
Warranty: 2-Year AlienCare Onsite Service and 24/7 Toll-Free Phone Support
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Mesh Cap
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Desktop Binder
Alienware Extras: Owner Identification Card
Alienware Extras: Internal Wire Management
Window Style: Default Window Style
Mouse Pointers: Standard Mouse Pointers
Power Plan: Standard Power Plan
Automatic Updates: Automatic Updates On
Sidebar Gadgets: Calendar
Sidebar Gadgets: Contact List (ref. Windows Address Book)
Time Zones: (GMT - 6.00) Central Time (US & Canada)

What is your disability? I ask because knowing your condition would help us, help you better. I have Cerebral Palsy from birth

Ok I'm familiar with your type of disability. The Alienware computer specs are quite good. They are known for their gaming abilities, but it would certainly suit your needs. What speech recognition software will you use? Sound system?

I would recommend going for a laptop from Dell's Studio or Studio XPS series, purely for the ease of repair etc. They do not break down often either since build quality is top-notch.

But if you want a desktop, the Alienware PC is overpriced. I would recommend this PC instead. Just customize it by choosing the i7 940 instead of the default i7 920, and the Corsair CMPSU-650TX power supply instead of the 580W one it comes with. You can customize the rest as per your needs.

Much, much cheaper and you will not see any noticeable performance increase from getting the parts in the Alienware PC over the ones in this machine.

updated quote

OK, I am trying to apply what you are suggesting. I do like the laptop suggestion but I am concerned about the horsepower. Would this work for graphics and video editing? Am I losing much by going this direction?

Also, the new Microsoft OS is out now. Should I go with it instead of Vista?

Precision M6400, Intel Core 2 Duo T9800, 2.93GHz, 1066MHZ 6M L2 Cache, Dual Core
8.0GB, DDR3-1066 SDRAM, 4 DIMMfor Mobile Precision
Internal Backlit English Keyboard for Mobile Precision
Documentation (English) Latitude E-Family/Mobile Precision
512MB NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M Mobile Precision M6400
320GB Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive 9.5MM, 7200RPM, Dell Mobile Precision MX300,FactoryInstall
No Fingerprint Reader for Mobile Precision M6400
17 inch Wide Screen WXGA+ LCD for Mobile Precision M6400
Vista Business 64-BIT Service Pack 1, with media, English Mobile Precision
Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth 2.1 Minicard for Latitude E/Mobile Precision
No Modem for Mobile PrecisionMX400
210W 3-Pin, AC Adapter for Mobile Precision
US - 6-FT, 3-Pin Flat Power Cord for Mobile Precision
8X DVD+/-RW slot load for Mobile Precision
Roxio Creator Dell Edition,9.0Dell Latitude/Mobile Precision
Cyberlink Power DVD 8.1,with Media,Dell Latitude/Mobile Precision
Integrated megapixel VGA webcam with single digital microphone, Mobile Precision M6400
Intel WiFi Link 5300 (802.11 a/g/n 3X3) 1/2 MiniCard for VPRO Latitude E/Mobile Precision
320GB Additional Hard Drive 9.5MM, 7200RPM FFS for Mobile Precision M6400
Resource DVD with Diagnostics and Drivers for Mobile Precision M6400
All Hard Drives Non- RAID for 1 to 2 Hard Drives, Dell Mobile Precision M6400
9-Cell/85-WHr Battery for Latitude E/Mobile Precision
17 inch Wide Screen WXGA+ LCD for Mobile Precision M6400
17 inch Wide Screen LCD Silver Cover for Mobile Precision M6400
Integrated VGA webcam with single digital mic, Mobile Precision M6400
Dell Webcam Central Software for Dell Latitude/Mobile Precision
Dell Hardware Limited Warranty Plus Onsite Service Extended Year
Dell Hardware Limited Warranty Plus Onsite Service Initial Year
Dell Wireless 5720 Mobile Broadband (EV-DO Rev A) Mini-Card, Verizon (with GPS) Mobile Precision
Intel Centrino 2 Core Duo Processor
Info SKU-Software and Peripherals products and solutions catalog included in system boxes

stick with vista for now, because the RC that's out will only last a year... but definitely go with the cyber power pc rather than an alienware or dell... i personally hate dells, the studio xps line is their only decent line in my opinion.

Thanks Dennis, but I was referring to davisjaron
I noticed that he had the same IP as a member with another username, who happened to have an issue with Dell (ironically)

And I just wanted to really make sure that all knew that Dell is actually quite good
When Dell first came out, they decided to use only parts that were reputable, they still stand by that.

I noticed that he had the same IP as a member with another username, who happened to have an issue with Dell (ironically)
Wow, stalker much, thats interesting, but are you looking everyone up? It is very strange to know two members have the same IP address AND remember their names :).

When Dell first came out, they decided to use only parts that were reputable, they still stand by that.
Reputable, but not exceedingly outstanding, and of course, they wouldn't bear to lose money, or rather earn a lot.

Would this work for graphics and video editing? Am I losing much by going this direction?
Yes you are actually, not only are laptops not made for heavy loads, but the CPU is a dual core, quad cores shine brighter than any dual core by a wide margin.
I would recommend Cyperpower, with a selection of parts we could recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back