Advice on a new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently interested in buying a new system, one for gaming of course. I don't really know what range of price I want (1000-2000 probably, canadian).

Anyways, could any of you give me some advice on the kind of system to get that will perform good with most new games / etc? I'm looking for a good graphics card, something around 2.8Ghz, lot's of ram, etc etc.

Anyways, if possible anyone have a nice setup that I could base around what I get? And also any good canadian sites to purchase from (Preferably in the vancouver area, a-power.com good?)

Thanks.

Also; I do not need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, anything like that..just the tower.

If you have money growing on a tree :p.

I can write up some spec's for you just as good as Alienware's PC and you can built it yourself ;-) or I can find you a good site to customize a PC from and you'll come out a LOT cheaper than Alienware with a PC that is just as good or better for about $800 less.

I normally purchase from either:

www.newegg.com
www.monarchcomputer.com

At Monarch you can customize a PC and they have great prices. They ship very well, on time, and do a great job in general. I definately recommend them if you want a custom PC that compares to anything Alienware can do. You just won't get the nifty case :).

www.atic.ca or www.anitec.ca are probably the best computer places in vancouver area. they both offer competitive prices. atic is good for intel systems, where as anitec lean toward amd systems. both are very good stores.

raidmax scorpio 868 case with 420 watt psu- $95
amd athlon64 3200+- $599
lg dvd+/-rw & dvd-ram dirve- $159
western digital 1200jd 8mb cache sata h/d- $149
asus k8v - $199
2x kingston 512mb pc3200 - $250
ati radeon 9800 pro - $509.95

total $1960.95

prices from anitec

good luck!

Just got an e-mail about the Asus K8V mobo

I took the advice from another poster about the K8V mobo and purchased it for my Athlon 64 3200+. 2 days after the purchase I got an e-mail saying that they where contacted by Asus regarding a flaw in the mobo and that they should not ship these boards. Anyone hear anything specific about this? I've heard that the post reporter chip is way too close to the WiFi port thus preventing it from seating correctly. Also, that the design with regards to either the IDE ports or the power ports is bad. Anyone else have a gripe about this?

This is the story -> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=85257

Q. I have heard some rumors saying that the appearance of some capacitors on K8V Deluxe may deform soon after use. Is that true? How do I check if my K8V Deluxe is affected, and what should I do next if mine happened to be like that?

A. it has been discovered recently that the nine electrolytic capacitors CE18, CE19, CE20, CE21, CE22, CE25 , CE38, CE39, CE45 (see Figure1, used at power stabilization circuitry) may expand and fracture. This problem has been confirmed to result from quality control of RLZ 0333 capacitors, and proven to happen only on a small number of such capacitors which can be easily distinguished from the RLZ 0333 marking (see Figure 2) on them.

If you need further support after finding RLZ 0333 capacitors at these nine locations, or experiencing symptom as described above on K8V Deluxe motherboards, please kindly contact your place of purchase, supplier, or the nearest ASUS service centre for immediate follow-up.

(December 04, 2003)

If you want a ready built, then I have to agree with Acid, Monarch is as good as there is. Their a bit slow, but when you get it, it'll be right. Tech support if you ever need it is great also. My current rig, for the most part came from Monarch, 'cept the CPU and mobo. They also ship to Canada. Check out their prices...

Later....

I will set up a document with all the parts and URLs to NewEgg for you. I built a computer for $1200 USD and it scores 5998 on 3dMark03 with no memory overclocking and no video card overclocking. It also scores 16277 on 3dMark01 same.

Just IM or PM or email me :)

* Raidmax Scorpio Black Tower
* Intel Pentium 4 2.4CGhz @ 2.95Ghz
* OCZ EL 256x2 PC3200 Platinum RAM
* Western Digital 40GB HD
* Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
* ASUS P4P800-Deluxe motherboard

It's very fast and it's overclockable to 2.95Ghz maximum and has room to spare for maximum OC of the video card which I'm going to do today (ExtremeOverclockers got 465/378 with stock cooling! Normal is 380/340). Their score was 18642 on 3dMark01.

:)

Ready built, Monarch seems good, but custom built is very simple to do!

custom built computer

Hello, just wondering Villa, if you want the best gaming and the coolest paintjobs, try this link and find out

Alienware Computer
www.alienware.com

Falcon Northwest
www.falcon-nw.com/

I know Falcon NorthWest is a little bit obsolete, but they still hang on and provides the coolest paintjobs. If you like beautiful women, FNW is the best one to go. Smile :)

Lucan

Re: Just got an e-mail about the Asus K8V mobo

Originally posted by atlasm
I took the advice from another poster about the K8V mobo and purchased it for my Athlon 64 3200+. 2 days after the purchase I got an e-mail saying that they where contacted by Asus regarding a flaw in the mobo and that they should not ship these boards. Anyone hear anything specific about this? I've heard that the post reporter chip is way too close to the WiFi port thus preventing it from seating correctly. Also, that the design with regards to either the IDE ports or the power ports is bad. Anyone else have a gripe about this?

That was me, atlasm, and I checked the board in the machine out after seeing Didou's post (and thanks for the info Didou). Everything appears well, no instabilities and no appearance flaws. In fact, I've gone out and purchased the same board for my new rig with the 64-bit 3200+. As soon as I can get the money together for my Antec P160, it'll go together.

But that aside, based on my observations I still stand by it.

Didou, I clicked on the link and read the info but I've done a search on the U.S. site and not found any info on it (your link was for the Taiwan home site) and early December. It's possible that board revisions since have been fixed (I would hope). Just my observations but thanks for the info nonetheless....best to jump in with all the info at hand. :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back