Advice on pc security

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensor

Hi, I need advice on which antivirus,antispyware,firewall etc to use. I have downloaded quite a few but I am not satisfied with them primarily because they slow down the pc.
I used Norton,Macfee,Bullguard,Avast,Solo, and AVG. i found only AVG doesnt slow down the pc.
For Antispyware,I used spyware doctor(very good for security but slows down the pc),spyeraser,spysubtract. Currently, i am using threatfire.
I am using the windows firewall.
I need advice on which antivirus,antispyware and firewall are good both in terms of security as well as doesnt slow down the pc.
Are Internet security (all in one) good enough, or seperate pakages are better?
I will appreciate advice very much.

PS:I would like to repeat that NOT slowing the pc is very important criteria for me, as I use loads of engineering softwares.

Do you want free software or are you ok with paying for it?

I have Etrust antivirus and have never had a virus since i began using it, but it's not free.

i am ok with paying, but I would prefer freeware.
Is Etrust only a antivirus, or does it have antispyware and firwwall as well?
And most importantly, does Etrust slow down the pc? (sorry for repeating myself but like i said this is v.important).

Etrust antivirus is antivirus only. It has an active monitor which slows the pc a tiny bit but it can be turned on and off at will.
Etrust is a Computer Associates product. they also do Etrust pest patrol which is antispyware software but it's not anywhere as good as avg antispyware.

the normal approach is:
  1. only connect your system to a router (not directly to a DSL/Cable modem)
  2. make sure you enable the router SPI feature
  3. run only ONE software firewall
  4. and only one AV program to autoscan your email
you can install other AV programs, but do not let them autoscan; do it manually
on some periodic schedule when you are NOT online.

I'm on a laptop and battery power and minimum resource usage is important to me.
I'm running, (1) Comodo Firewall, (2) AVG Free, (3) Spywareblaster, & Spybot S&D.

Does Spybot S&D and Ad-aware have active real time protection or is it just search and destroy?

Spybot has an immunization feature; ie a passive technique to avoid accessing bad sites.

AVG has the active Real Time protection.

(someone else can answer for ad-aware )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back