Aereo announces major layoffs, shutting down Boston office

1. Nearly a couple of weeks after a New York federal judge issued a preliminary injunction against Aereo, the Internet streaming service has announced that it is laying off most of its workforce as well as shutting its Boston office.

Read more
  2. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

Really sad to see this happening to Aereo. Rather than destroying the service, I wish providers had viewed it as a wake up call and pushed to upgrad their systems to the 21st century.
  3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,461   +1,760

This name "Aereo", always reminds me of "Areola". I'll let Wikipedia explain what that is:

Anyway, it breeds some conjecture about what their advertising slogan should be.

For instance, "Aereo, the mother's milk of your TV diet".

Or perhaps, "Aereo, the warm bosom of TV, against a harsh, cold world, of metal cable and fibered glass".
  4. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,372   +2,164

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,461   +1,760

It's a shame "Aereo" didn't elicit a word association for you with "Oreo", because then we could put our impressions together and have, "milk & cookies"...

In any event, "Aero" is likely the first thing that pops into most people's mind when the hear ,"Aereo". In fact, I think the Brits still spell "airplane", "aeroplane". Then there's "Windows 7's "Aero" interface, aerobatics, aerodynamics, your "Aero" chocolate bars, and likely a few more which escape me ATM.

Too obvious, I say! Besides, "Aereo", especially in light of the fact that the "E" after the "A" at the beginning of the word, is for the most part, gratuitous, and is pronounced very similarly to "areo" It's sort of like the "AE" stuck together in "encyclopaedia".

So, we have "aereo-la". As I'm sure you know, "la", is the 6th note of the musical scale. As the 6th note of the musical scale, it's also the tonic note of the relative minor scale. As you're likely also aware, the relative minor scale can also be referred to as the, "Aeolian" mode.

And that's how I got to "areola", by ignoring the obvious, sheer force of will, and a powerful predilection for over thinking stuff!
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    davislane1 likes this.