Aereo waves the white flag, files for bankruptcy

By Shawn Knight
Nov 21, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Aereo has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The disruptive media company put up a valiant fight but in the end, the broadcasters won the war.

Read more
  2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,137   +480

Is that a typo? "– on per customer –"
  3. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 815   +382

You can now bet that those companies that were going to start streaming, will no longer do so.
  4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

This is sad news. They had an interesting idea. And this will be a setback for watching TV in ways which are friendly to the consumer.
  5. Hasbean

Hasbean TS Enthusiast Posts: 98   +22

Nice to see the big guys shittin' on the little guys again.
  6. Frank Barnett

Frank Barnett TS Rookie Posts: 61   +6

Maybe they can hold up those little antennas for a umbrella.
    MilwaukeeMike likes this.
  7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

The only surprise about Aereo was that they ever even got off the ground. Their business model was so obviously illegal I can't believe anyone would have invested any money into trying to pull it off.
  8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,457   +1,759

You do realize that slapping a tuner into your home computer, and hanging a pair of rabbit ears on it, could easily be construed to be, "friendly to the consumer", don't you?
    Or maybe they could open a nightclub without bothering to apply for a liquor license, and put them into fancy mixed drinks.
  9. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Right now there is HDHomeRun networked dual tuners I use 2 of these so I can record over the network up to 4 different HD OTA channels at the same time. I had started this venture back in Sept 2012. So 2 years later OTA has increased channel line-up from 60 to 75 (up 15 channels) Grit Network is the newest one.

So this company to stream OTA over into the internet would be sound but really don't need to that if your in the right OTA markets. If your just too far from the OTA market then it might be neat to use. I live way out but the OTA markets are North and South of me here. I still need to use dual 80 miles HDTV ANT to pick both markets up. Thus giving me those 75 channel.