AeroMobil flying car prototype crashes, pilot suffers only minor injuries

Shawn Knight

Staff member

flying slovakia crash flying car pilot aeromobil stefan klein wreck

Flying car startup AeroMobil recently experienced a scare as its prototype vehicle crashed during a test flight in Slovakia. Creator and pilot Štefan Klein suffered only minor injuries as he was able to successfully deploy the vehicle’s parachute and thus, avoid bearing the brunt of the impact.

According to the Prague Post, the vehicle went into a tailspin before Klein opened the parachute system. He climbed out of the wreckage under his own power but was taken to a local hospital with minor injuries.

AeroMobil said in a press release that its AeroMobil 3.0 experimental prototype encountered an unexpected situation on May 8 in which Klein activated the parachute system at an altitude of approximately 900 feet.

The release further noted that in the process of developing new vehicles, the possibility and likelihood of an unexpected situation is a natural part of the testing program. Simply put, the crash was a learning period as it is necessary to test the vehicle in every way possible to establish its limits and improve on them.

The company said the detailed data and overall experience from the test flight will be thoroughly analyzed and the results will be used in the ongoing R&D to improve the prototype. Once the damaged parts have been replaced, testing will continue as usual.

During a speaking engagement at SXSW back in March, AeroMobil CEO Jurja Vaculik said his company was planning to launch its flying car by 2017. It’ll be marketed to wealthy supercar buyers willing to spend at least a couple hundred thousand euros, he added.

Crash images via Nitra

Permalink to story.

"It’ll be marketed to wealthy supercar buyers willing to spend at least a couple hundred thousand euros, he added".
I guess that rules me out as their target market, I'm happy to fly coach.

"It’ll be marketed to wealthy supercar buyers willing to spend at least a couple hundred thousand euros, he added".
I guess that rules me out as their target market, I'm happy to fly coach.

Indeed. You can actually buy a legitimate airplane for a fraction of the price: http://www.aerotrader.com/Cessna-Ai...?make=Cessna|2237190&sort=price:asc&newsort=1

Although, you would have to pay for hanger space instead of parking it into a garage (assuming it would even fit) :p

Developing a car in europe which will never get any certification from the EU byrocrats is just useless. I can see the crash test results with a pedestrian ...
but a nice hobby for the man developing it... :)

Well ... certainly a refreshing explanation on the cause of the crash; of course if Microsoft had done this they would simply call it an "undocumented feature" and add another 15% to the price tag!! :)

Well ... certainly a refreshing explanation on the cause of the crash; of course if Microsoft had done this they would simply call it an "undocumented feature" and add another 15% to the price tag!! :)
Microsoft is a successful business that is used by millions of people daily, this "flying car" is a prototype that will be for the rich only. Let's not mention how much Apple would charge to replace their parts...versus Microsoft's "15% increase to their price tag" :) I'll take the later.

Hmm I think I would rather just buy a Acon A5, comes with a trailer takes up about the same space as a boat, haul it to a lake drop her in and bam your off and flying.

People are generally too dumb to let them into the sky. Imagine someone you see every morning in a car next to you on a mobile phone or putting on make-up, which leads to all kinds of accidents. Do that while in the air, and the accidents will increase exponentially.

Last edited:
People are generally too dumb to let them into the sky. Imagine someone you see every morning in a car next to you on mobile phone or putting on make up, which leads to all kinds of accidents. Do that while in the air, and the accidents will multiply exponentially.

True... the general population has enough trouble with 2 dimensions.... add another and chaos is sure to ensue. Granted there is a lot more space, but they all still have to meet somewhere, which is where most of the problems would occur. I really think we will need automated systems to handle the take off and landings of common-folk aircraft.

I'm sure the police would know who's jurisdiction it is. I'm also willing to bet they could get there quicker for emergency response purposes. But then for fun, you could always call the FAA. lol It's not everyday you get the opportunity. :p

Back