After a long wait, Mighty No. 9 tries real hard, but no

Julio Franco

Staff member

Mighty No. 9 built up a rather massive store of excitement (and several million dollars in cash) during those first few months, but each delay, work-in-progress gameplay clip and rough beta test sapped enthusiasm for the project. As it turns out, this was the game development equivalent of letting us down easy.

Mighty No. 9, released yesterday for most of the platforms it was promised to, is not Mega Man with a new name. It shares a lot of ingredients with Mega Man, but these are lower quality ingredients combined with none of the finesse of Capcom’s classics.

Read the complete review.

With the state of the reviews so far, I wouldn't be surprised if Keiji Inafune was crying like an animé fan on prom night

Not really interesting in this game, but it doesn't look horrible. In general I think it's really hard to take reviews too seriously, because sometimes I feel that one must become an expert in a game, and complete it many times, before truly enjoy it. Especially as adults who might be anxious to move on to other responsibilities. So it would be interesting to see how people will view it in general, say two months from now.

I feel bad for the makers. I mean there were such high expectations for this game especially since people were backing it up and not a large company. I think they could have used more time and money. Which every developer will tell you that. I don't know.

Maybe Keiji Inafune and Carl Pei should have a beer together.

Back