After bios, black screen with white cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day my computer suddenly went to a black screen that said "no operating system found." After restart it simply goes to a black screen with a white cursor. I tried reinstalling windows and nothing changed. I got a new harddrive and installed Windows, but when I restart it just keeps going back to the setup screen. If I leave the windows CD in the drive, it automatically boots from the cd and goes to the setup screen without asking if I want to boot from the CD. If I take the CD out it either goes to a black screen or says "no operating system found" even though I just installed it.

Do I need to change something in the bios boot setting? Did I install it wrong? Help?

Thanks,
Nick

it sounds as if the bios is not looking for the hard drive during bootup only the cd rom drive. you might want to check and make sure that the hard drive is still listed in the boot priority in the bios. also if you have a floppy drive make sure nothing is in that.

if i have the hard disk enabled, it just sits at the black screen with white cursor, if i have it disabled, it either says "no operating system found" or begins the setup process if the cd is in the drive.

i ran "chkdsk /p" in the recovery console and it said that it "found one or more unrecoverable errors in the volume"
it is a new hard drive, though? what do i do?

thanks

if that si a legit copy of windows and not a copy then I would say you have a defective hard drive. if the drive is new you should have the makers diagnostic tools that came with the drive and should use them to seee if the drive is defective. if you bought the drive OEM then go to the makers website and download their diagnostic suite and run it.

Yep, it's a legit copy. And I actually, finally, after about a week of stuggle, got Windows to boot and install! After about 3 diagnostic boot disks and random bios settings adjustments I am up and running. Thanks for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back