after i installed driver computer keeps shutting down -help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

Ok, first of all i'm new and i'm a girl and i know very little about computers, so go easy on me! ;-)

I tried to fill in the profile but didn't understand what the different sections were referring to, so i apologise for that. Here's the problem:

My laptop (HP compaq nx9010) was reformatted last year and since then it was unable to play DVDs or games at all, so recently we tried to solve this problem and downloaded a radeon omega driver, which to be fair solved the problem, and now games etc work like a dream. The problem is that the screen has started turning itself off randomly - now, if i catch it in time, say within 30 secs, a minute, and click the mouse, the screen simply comes back on again, however if i havent noticed the problem and go to turn the screen on then i get nothing. With it being a laptop, i then have to take the power lead out and wait for 6 or so hours for the battery to run out before i can reboot the thing again -NIGHTMARE

I'm guessing it's gonna be some kind of driver conflict, but i dont know enough about computers to know what to do next.

Would honestly be very grateful to anyone who takes the time to help me.

Mel

erm... not really sure! how would i check? I reset the monitor power/screensaver options etc to "never" in case that was the problem, and it worked for about 48 hours. i left the pc on overnight and in the morning the screen was blank again, and this meant that once again i had to take the power lead out and wait for 6 hours. very frustrating!

instead of waiting six hours, have you tried removing the battery?
under display properties, select the 'settings' tab. It should say (monitorname) on (videocard name). does it say default? what does it say under the monitor field?

i was going to say is there anyway that it could be that your battery has just decided to poop out on you. maybe you need a new batter

check out your lappy

check out you lappy makers web site the video card in this model should be a ATI Radeon IGP 345M check out links below for specs and drivers:-
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11599_na/11599_na.HTML
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

oh and it sounds daft I know but have dealt with problems before for folk telling me display just blanks and it turns out to be the screensaver ??? check timeout on it, and check power managment timeouts too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back