After movie studios, record labels sue Megaupload and Kim Dotcom for copyright infringement

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Just a few days after the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) filed a lawsuit against Megaupload, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) yesterday filed a similar lawsuit against the now defunct website and its founder Kim Dotcom. Both were filed at the U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Virginia.

The lawsuit, which was filed on behalf of record companies like Warner Music, UMG Recordings, Sony Music, and Capitol Records, accuses the file sharing website of "massive copyright infringement" of music, and includes as evidence a list of 87 songs by artists such as Lady Gaga, Jay Z, and Pink, that the association said it found on the website.

In addition to Kim Dotcom, the lawsuit also targets the website's co-founder and CTO Mathias Ortmann, and head programmer Bram van der Kolk.

Megaupload was a popular file sharing website that hosted any kind of content its users wanted to share. It was a smooth ride until 2011, when the office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) added the service to its list of “notorious markets” for copyrighted material, resulting in a federal lawsuit.

Responding to the development, Ira Rothken, member of Dotcom's legal team said that the case was an assault on cloud storage. "RIAA, MPAA, and DOJ are like three blind mice following each other in the pursuit of meritless [copyright] claims and assault on [copyright] neutral cloud tech", he tweeted.

Permalink to story.

Ye thats it sue the criminal Kim dotcom for uploading tons of copyright material he should be sued $90trillion!!!! I lost $40billion due to my css code being exploited and uploaded to that site!!!!

Seriously now why sue someone which didnt do a god damn thing wrong its like sueing god because he didnt make your numbers win the lottery. If I was kim dotcom I would tell them

"If you have a problem with me you should sue google first they are far worse then me and if you want to prevent copyright then get your act together and prevent it dont start going after the people who dont have a genius IQ that can prevent it!!!.

Dont you dare come to me trying to sue me for copyright when I had nothing to do with it, I gave you the tools to take out anything that was illegal so I should be sueing you for not doing a good enough job at protecting your own content."

I don't understand how the DMCA doesn't apply to Megaupload. It's not like Kim Dotcom was the one putting illegal content on the site it was his users...

Boil down Kim's fat ugly body and sell it as soap.

What a disgusting person. An anarchist all covered in fat. I bet he thinks he's personal friends with Anonymous.

That seriously has nothing to do with what is going on. if that is the only thing you have to say, you might as well just stay home and let the big boys do the hard work for you since you can't make an intelligent comment.
And still, he is only getting fatter... :)

Dotcom should get a hold of Gox's lawyer. He'd just tell the MPAA & RIAA, "you have no jurisdiction and therefore you're not allowed to sue. The end.

They just want to have a share in some of the profit that he made from sharing some of their products.

I would give them 50% of what I made. I would give them 50% of the $0 that I made, and 50% of the 100 hours that I lost (They own me for 50 hours of wasted time).

Better that the lawyers go after the big cheese, instead of the poor student.

And, Google is involved in lots of legal cases. A lot more than MegaUpload is worth.

It is not a crime to upload the media. It is a crime to distribute the media without the correct licence agreement.

He acted like a money launderer, but with copyright material. A copyright launderer, if you like.

At least he still has a super hot wife.
Let's pretend for a moment that you're Dotcom's, "super hot wife". How would you like to have that laying on top of you?

I suppose it comes under the heading of dirty, dangerous, and thankless jobs, but with good pay and benefits.

Now where's that pool boy when you need him?

Back