TechSpot

After removing malware computer crashed once and mouse hang several times

By Jskid
Nov 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I just got out of the malware removal form after being infected. A few times my mouse hung and once while watching netflix the screen went blank and the sound went weird and nothing would respond. I'm not sure if the computer is unstable or if this is sort of just a random thing. Any advice?

It's a desktop with an Asus P8Z68-V LE motherboard and an Intel Core i5 CPU running Windows 7 64bit and Avast Internet Security. It has 8GB of RAM.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,867   +165

What are the computers specs? Laptop or desktop?

3. Jskid

Jskid TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 429

Ok I updated the original post. Please let me know of any other information required.

4. Tmagic650

5. Jskid

Is Avast known to be unstable?

6. Tmagic650

Yes, on some computers with symptoms like you are seeing

7. Jskid

Can I use Eset or Kaspersky?

8. Tmagic650

Why not use free MSE?

9. Jskid

I use Avast because it has a built in firewall, plus other features I like such as Safezone and the one that checks to see if programs are up to date. At least Kaspersky and Eset have firewalls, MSE is just an AV.

10. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,831   +184

Yes they both have firewalls. But if you are behind a router. All you need is windows firewall.

11. Tmagic650

Yes use the built-in Windows firewall. 3rd party AV's with firewalls disable Windows firewall and doing this can cause problems like you are having here

12. Jskid

Actually I just remembered, Avast leaves the Windows firewall on and works with it.

13. Tmagic650

Well just remove Avast temporarily and try MSE

14. Jskid

Ok I'll bite. I uninstalled Avast and installed MSE and giving it a try.

15. Jskid

The mouse and keyboard freezing up is still happening. It happened when I was running Linux through VMware player though, could this have something to do with it?

I had changed some BIOS settings to be able to run Linux in VMware. Currently I have Limit CPUID maximum = disabled, executed disable bit = enabled, and intel virtuilization technology = enabled. The last one I had changed. Could these be a problem?

16. Jskid

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools says "new hardware detected" even though I didn't change any.

I had just finished removing malware and then Windows randomly began freezing up. Part of the malware removal process was to update programs, so that may have had something to do with it. I updated to Firefox 25 and each time the computer freezes it's open. I also had updated the video card driver. I'm running MSE running on Windows 7.

I ran sfc /scannow in this is what it produced "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." next post is the log.

Also I connect to the internet through a VPN. Sometimes I've been having trouble using the internet after first starting the computer. I looked at the adapter settings for IPv4 and sometimes there are strange settings even though I keep changing them
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes DNS servers are specified too.

How the hell do you show the CBS file. It's 4.3 mb and I can't even copy and paste quarters of it into one post.

Attached Files:

17. Tmagic650

Why don't you install Windows fresh after a full format at this point?

18. Jskid

I'm afraid that may be necessary. Before doing so is there a way I can test the hard ware to make sure it's not a problem with it?

19. Tmagic650

It may be necessary after the malware infection and all this. The Windows re-install may show any hardware problems

20. Jskid

I think I may have pinpointed the problem. I believe it is Firefox. There is certainly no shortage on google about firefox freezing Windows 7 but I'm surprised because I've been using Firefox for such a long time and this just started happening.

https://www.google.com/#q=firefox freezes windows 7&safe=off

21. Tmagic650

I've installed Firefox on many Windows 7 computers without trouble... You can remove it to see if the computer stabilizes

22. Cobalt006

What video driver are you using. A lot of people are having Troubles with lastest Nivdia drivers. The same problems you are getting.

23. Tmagic650

I just installed the latest Gforce video driver from the link I posted yesterday. I have a GTX550TI video card... The video driver is working perfectly

24. Cobalt006

I have the same card. In order to stop the problem jskid is having I had to go back to 314.22 It seems I could not use any driver above this. I even went as far as reformatting and reinstalling windows and had the same problem every time I install the latest drivers. Yes I do get mine from that site to.

25. Tmagic650

What card does Jskid have?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.