After years of declining profits, Samsung appoints new mobile chief

Scorpus

Staff member

While the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy Note 5 were generally well-received handsets, and some of the best made by the company in years, Samsung Mobile has faced declining profits for some time. Increased competition, particularly from Apple and high-profile Chinese vendors, has left the company struggling to keep a hold of its dominant market position.

To help the company grow and turn a larger profit, Samsung has appointed a new president of their mobile division. Dongjin Koh, previously head of the research and development division, and responsible for recent products like the Galaxy S6 and Note 5, will take over the role and handle the day-to-day operations of the business.

The previous president of the mobile business and current co-CEO of Samsung Electronics, JK Shin, will focus on the long term strategy of the mobile division in his new role. Although Shin has less control over the division in this leadership change, he will technically remain head of Samsung Mobile.

With Koh in charge, Samsung hopes to arrest a long period of declining profits. Despite launching products like the Galaxy S6, seven of the company's eight previous quarters saw profits decline, with only the third quarter of this year reporting slim growth.

If Samsung can continue to develop attractive high-end devices, and create more compelling mid-range and budget devices, the company may be able to combat the rise of Chinese OEMs such as Xiaomi, Lenovo and Asus. Whether or not Koh is up to the task remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

If I became the leader there, big changes would be done. note would be the only phablet and the s series would become phones again. with max 5" screen, 720p and 3000+ batteries. but with the same hardware as the ones next year. next gen exonys cpu, 4 or more gb ram. android 6 with touchwiz and s4 features :) if you are blind and need a bigger screen that shows stuff you cant see anyway, then get a note. 1080p and up, is for tv and computers, not phones.

Still waiting on sales figures of Note 5 and how these sales figures compare to prior Note sales.
But let's be honest people, I highly doubt that these sales figures would reflect what some say as "generally well-received handsets".

In my mind when features that are actively use are removed, that would lead to poor sales.

Dear Samsung, If you're listening, add to Zenodroid's list with, front stereo speakers, and a SD Micro card slot. A removable battery wouldn't hurt either. Also, end carrier exclusives. I'm not switching to GeWhiz Wireless because they have the one phone with a cool feature. As for your tablets, who ever thought that people have stalk mounted ears that wrap behind the glass as they watch the front should be spanked. Last thing you need to know, is to do what ever it takes to get Android OS updates out much quicker than you're doing now.

If I became the leader there, big changes would be done. note would be the only phablet and the s series would become phones again. with max 5" screen, 720p and 3000+ batteries. but with the same hardware as the ones next year. next gen exonys cpu, 4 or more gb ram. android 6 with touchwiz and s4 features :) if you are blind and need a bigger screen that shows stuff you cant see anyway, then get a note. 1080p and up, is for tv and computers, not phones.
The Note is also good for people like me know have big hands. The Note looks natural in my hand while the S series (until recently that is) looked tiny and felt wrong to me, not everyone has tiny hands and needs a tiny phone :p

Back