AGP - 4x bottleneck?

By Vee
Dec 28, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Now Ive done as much searching and reading as I could to try to keep this from being too ignorant a question.. But.

My motherboard has AGP 4x. I have seen several sites claim that 8x is the standard for video cards now. Does this mean if I get a card that wants to use 8x it will only run at half its available speed? Or is the difference between running 4x and 8x negligable (Ive noticed a few people have 8x compatibility run at 4x to avoid lockups/instability?)

PS: The card I will most likely get is a radeon 9600 or slightly above. (ie not strapped for cash but not fanatical gamer)

Thanks in advance,

Val.
  2. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

IMHO, In the real world, running a card at 4X besides 8x wont have a little or no degradation in terms of performance. Why? This is because there not many or no games at all that can make full use of the 8x bandwidth. If I were in your situation, I will still continue to keep the 4x motherboard and upgrade to Radeon 9600 without any hesitation.
  3. Vee

Vee Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I was hoping to run dawn of war (once i upgrade ram to 512 as well) I doubt Ill be going any higher performance wise than this for quite some time..

Thanks,

V
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.