AGP 8x card in a 2/4x mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone - this is my first post for support on this forum so howdy and thanks for checking out my ish. On to the problem:
My boss is trying to enhance his son's pc which has this hardware:
CPU Type-- AMD Athlon MP, 1533 MHz (11.5 x 133) 1800+
Motherboard Name-- TYAN TIGER MPX
Motherboard Chipset-- AMD-760MPX
System Memory-- 1024 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type-- Phoenix (03/27/02)

He has bought an EVGA GeForce 6200 AGP graphics card to help run his son's Lord Of The Rings:Battle For MiddleEarth II game better, but i think it's having issues with the mobo (which doesn't have an 8x AGP slot). Win XP SP2 is installed and works just fine most of the time although i had my first BSOD earlier today and the pc wasn't doing anything graphic intensive at all. The LOTR game only plays for about 2-10 minutes and then freezes and closes down, giving me an error message like this one:
AppName: game.dat AppVer: 1.4.2290.27391 ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2945 Offset: 00012a5b
Strangely, the D3d tests in DXDIAG won't initialize after the game crashes but work fine upon a reboot. It has the most current NVidia drivers and the game has the mmost current patch too. Any thoughts as to the cause and/or conflict and its resolution are greatly appreciated! Cheers,
Tom

This is just a suggestion.

Check to make sure the psu is putting out enough power, particularly the amount of amps on the 12volt rail. You can find this info on the psu label.

Regards Howard :)

You may also need to update the board's chipset drivers and bios in order to use the newer graphics card.

As Howard Hopkinso said, it's most likely the power supply. Is it a brand name computer? Usually, corporations put in really cheap power supplies to save money.

AGP is backwards compatible, but like the others said your problem is more than likely a power one.

Update...

...Hi all, and thanks for the help so far. I think the psu is ok because it's a Vantech VAN-400B and it says it's outputting 16A on the +12V rail, and the graphics card is relatively dinky and doesn't look like a power-hog. I haven't tried flashing the mobo yet, simply because i imagine that the last mobo update was released way before this gpu and if that went wrong too then the pc would be totally fubar'd. I tested the grafx card in another, slighly newer pc yesterday and it ran Doom3 fine but then i tried to run the Lord of the Rings:BFME2 game and it wouldn't even get past the splash screen on that one, so perhaps it's just a really bad card for that game and vice-versa. I'm gonna try Doom3 on the original computer with this GeForce6200 card today and if that works i'll assume the card isn't broken, but there'll still be a conflict somewhere so please keep the help coming ;) Thanks again everyone,
Tom

The 6200 will run best when it is on a computer with a 12v rating of 18a, and that lord of the rings game could also be a graphics hog as well as the 6200 is in the low end of the graphic card spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back