AGP 8X Graphic Cards

By BlueAtlantis
Aug 13, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok guys I'm going insane, trying to build a new computer, it's my first build. I'm llooking @ this motherboard/cpu combo to order. http://www.compu-terra.com/store/product695.html

I'm trying to find out what cards will go with a 8X AGP video card slot. I've been thinking about a Geforce 6800GT. However under the spec on that graphics card it says that you need a AGP3 socket, what does that mean? will it work with a 8X? Please please help me. A site that has compatable graphic cards for AGP8X would be awsome.
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,760

The 6800 needs an AGP 3.0 slot which most newer motherboards have. They are almost all 8x. But I would go for an Athlon 64 processor. Its alot faster then the P4 2.8 and about the same price . If you're in the US you can get a mobo/cpu combo (Athlon 64 3000+) at Newegg for $220.
  3. flashmonkey

flashmonkey Newcomer, in training Posts: 136

I wouldn't buy an AGP mobo if I were you. They'll be obsolete by next year. Just get on the bandwagon and get a PCIe mobo and video card. It'll last you a lot longer.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.