AGP 8x vs 4x is there a big difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geno2k3

My motherboard is a agp (2.0) 2x/4x and the video card im getting is a 4x/8x (x800 xl).

I know 8x doubles the bandwith of 4x. But i dont actually know what are the actual differences. As in FPS, textures and overall performance.

well, if agp is anything like pci-e, then the differences lie in the voltages and front side bus speeds. i know for a fact that pci-e 16x and pci-e 2.0 are different because the voltages for 2.0 are increased from 2.5 to 5 volts, and the front side bus speed is doubled as well.

and what all that equates to is double the speed if i'm not mistaken. so you'll get a bigger bang out of the card in the slot if the card is built for 8x. and that in turn i believe will result in better fps.

i'm not 100% on some of that, but that's my understanding. if anyone else knows more than i do, then please correct me and make sure i'm not giving a false impression.

The answer to your question is a simple no. No real difference between 4 speed and 8 speed. The bandwidth is supposed to double in theory but in practice it never worked as it should.

Thanks alot for the replies. Now i wait and see if this system can handle cod4, thats another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back