AGP no go PCI OK in WinXP ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the same motherboard (A7V8X-X got toasted) that previously had the ATI Radeon 8500 in it. I just upgraded the CPU to a AMD 3200+ with Cosrair XMS 3200 ram. Now the only video cards that allow the system to boot are PCI. Any AGP cards won't boot. I have tried my Matrox 550 as well as the ATI and have had the same problems. Any idea why the PCI ancient cards work but the AGP don't ?

PS The latest VT400 VIA 4in1 drivers were installed prior to inserting the AGP's

What do you mean by "Not boot"? Does it make it to Windows booting or does it die somewhere in the POST?

You could try turning down AGP related options in BIOS. Disable fast writes, no fast turnaround, 2x instead of 4x etc.

Have you done any heavy work with the PCI cards installed? It might as well be bad memory that is causing the problem.

XP reinstall (without format) would help to rule out some driver conflict or other software problems.

The A7V8X (based on the KT400 chipset ) does not officially support the 200mhz ( 400 DDR ) FSB. Get a KT600 board if you wish to use that CPU.

You are probably running your PCI/AGP bus out of specs by using that 3200+ on it. I guess you just got lucky that certain PCI VGA cards still functionned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back